Shell V-Power is the brand name given to Shell's enhanced high specification fuels for road motor vehicles including Shell V-Power Nitro+ and Shell V-Power Diesel. Shell launched the fuel in March 2008 under the name Nitrogen-Enriched Shell V-Power, with nitrogen-containing detergents.
Petrol or gasoline is assessed, categorised and sold by an octane rating. Generally, in most areas of the world, the Research Octane Number (RON) is used, but in North America, the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) is used. Conventional 'standard' "Super Unleaded" petrol in Europe, South Asia and Australia has an octane rating of 95 RON, and in North America "Premium Unleaded" is AKI/RdON/PON 91-93 (RON 96–98). However, higher octane "Super Plus Unleaded" - often formulated with higher quality additives, is usually set at around 98 RON in mainland Europe; but this can vary by market. Most oil/petroleum companies now 'market' their own Super Plus Unleaded petrols under a unique name - and the current name for Shell Super Unleaded fuel is "V-Power". Like most Super Plus Unleaded petrols, V-Power also contains higher concentrations of detergents and other additives to help clean the engine and smooth its operation.
In the United Kingdom and Denmark (where Super Plus Unleaded must be a minimum of 97 RON), V-Power has a rating of 99 RON (whereas V-Power's predecessor Shell Optimax was rated at 98 RON). There are two other 99 RON fuel available in the UK, namely Tesco MOMENTUM99 and more recently Costco Premium Unleaded (99 RON) .
In The Netherlands, V-Power used to have a 95 RON rating, although officials from Shell stated it effectively had a 97 RON rating. Due to the limited categories of 92 RON, 95 RON, 98 RON and 100 RON., it was officially rated at 95. These days, the RON rating of the V-power petrol in the Netherlands is rated at 98.
In Germany, all Shell stations offer V-Power Racing 100, rated at 100 RON.
In Australia, from October 2006, Shell and Coles Express re-branded Optimax to V-Power (98 RON). V-Power Racing, the ultra-high performance variant has a rating of 100 RON although Shell have decided to phase out V-Power Racing from 21 July to mid August 2008, instead recommending V-Power. The previously obtainable higher grade V-Power Racing which contained 5% ethanol to boost V-Power's octane rating to 100 RON has now been phased out by Shell due to a "changing market".
In the United States (U.S.), at around 2004, all U.S. Shell "Premium" gas was rebranded as "V-Power". In 2015, Shell re-branded V-Power to the newly launched V-Power Nitro+.
In Canada, from June 2005, Shell Canada re-branded Optimax Gold to V-Power. In 2015, Shell Canada re-branded V-Power to V-Power Nitro+.. In Canada, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline does not contain ethanol.
In Hong Kong, as there is no oil refinery plant located in Hong Kong, Gasoline was imported from Singapore, which is 98 RON. However, V-Power sold in gas stations rumored reach 167 RON (the highest native RON for consumer grade commercial petrol across worldwide). Such figure is not supported by actual test, nor is it confirmed by Shell and which is contradicted from a reading material for Legislators of Legislative Council.
In New Zealand, from 2007, Shell rebranded 95 Premium Unleaded as V-Power. It was still rated at 95 RON. Shell sold its New Zealand retail operations in 2010 to a consortium which later became Z Energy, and upon re-branding Shell V-Power was replaced with ZX Premium Unleaded.
In Argentina, from 2009, Shell rebranded 95 Super fuel as V-Power and also the Diesel premium for V-Power diesel.
In Indonesia, from April 2013, Shell rebranded 95 Super Extra as V-Power with additional additives. While it is still rated at 95 RON. In 2016 Shell V-Power in Indonesia will increase from 95 RON to 98 RON and 100 RON.
In Malaysia, it is RON97 but in Singapore, where Shell offers RON98, the octane is higher for V-Power Racing.
V-Power Diesel is Shell's version of an enhanced diesel fuel, similar, say to BPs 'Ultimate Diesel'. Like BP Ultimate Diesel, Shell V-Power Diesel is designed for modern compression-ignition diesel engines, to facilitate enhanced engine performance along with increased engine protection, for more consistent operation and engine longevity.
One characteristic of V-Power diesel is that it is a lot clearer and odourless than normal diesel, mainly due to the synthetic GTL component.
The fuel is slightly less dense than regular diesel so, per volume, the unit energy is actually lower than regular diesel. This is offset, as the fuel tends to ignite more readily (and thus has a higher cetane rating) than regular diesel, and a side benefit of this is that it tends to produce less soot during combustion.
Shell also markets a different "premium" diesel in Canada labeled V-Power, which they state "Is specially formulated for year-round Canadian weather conditions, with a cetane improver, a de-icer and a corrosion inhibitor.". This Canadian V-Power diesel is dispensed from a dedicated pump that injects a measured amount of NEMO 2061 additive into the diesel supply shared with the other diesel pumps at the service station. As a result, it contains no GTL components beyond those that may already exist in the shared diesel supply.
Effective June 1, 2012, Pilipinas Shell launches the new premium diesel fuel grade, Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel (formerly Shell V-Power Diesel)
Development in motorsports
Part of the campaign, especially targeted to sell "V-Power Nitro+" brand of the fuels (higher priced than usual and similar to blend used on the track) is organizing Formula One events in cities without a track. For example, on the streets of Warsaw, Poland, where Scuderia Ferrari driver Felipe Massa drove the race car used in 2013 Formula One Championship.
In popular culture
- John Fuller. "Is nitrogen-enriched gasoline good for my car?". How Stuff Works. Archived from the original on May 6, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-05-05. Retrieved 2014-05-05.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Tesco Petrol Filling Station". Tesco PFS. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Shell V-Power - Familierecepten". Z3.viaisn.org. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2011-02-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Shell starts selling 'premium-plus' gas". USA TODAY. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "New premium gasoline can save drivers money, Shell says | Toronto Star". thestar.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Legislative Council Panel on Economic Services" (PDF). Legco.gov.hk. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-03-26. Retrieved 2011-07-01.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Roces, Inigo (June 15, 2017). "Shell launches new V-Power with Dynaflex". Autoindustriya.com. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Shell.com - "Shell V-Power Diesel - Advanced performance fuel". Shell.co.uk. Archived from the original on 23 February 2010. Retrieved 15 February 2010.
- "Shell V-Power Diesel". Shell.com. Archived from the original on June 18, 2010. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- "Shell V-Power Diesel". Cruzetalk.com. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-25. Retrieved 2013-09-01.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Shell V-Power fuels in Need for Speed: The Run". Electronic Arts. Retrieved September 1, 2013.