Shelley Hymel is a developmental/educational psychologist and professor at the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Her research focuses on issues related to school bullying, children's peer relationships, and social-emotional learning.
Hymel earned her Ph.D. in educational psychology from the University of Illinois in 1982. She was a faculty member at the University of Waterloo before joining the Department of Education at UBC in 1993.
Hymel is the co-founder, along with Susan Swearer, of the Bullying Research Network, a group that links more 200 researchers from more than 17 countries in the field of bullying and peer victimization.
- 2015: UBC Killam Research Prize
- 2015: University of Illinois Education Alumni Association (EAA) Distinguished Alumni Award
- Hymel, S., & Swearer, S.M. (2015). Four decades of research on school bullying: An introduction. American Psychologist, 70 (4), 300–310.
- Swearer, S.M., & Hymel, S. (2015). Understanding the bullying dynamic: Moving toward a social-ecological diathesis-stress model. American Psychologist, 70 (4),344-353.
- Hymel, S. & Bonanno, R. (2014). Moral disengagement processes in bullying. Theory into Practice. 53, 278–285.
- Hymel, S., Rocke-Henderson, N. & Bonanno, R.A. (2005). Moral disengagement: A framework for understanding bullying among adolescents. Journal of Social Sciences, 8, 1-11.
- Vaillancourt, T., Hymel, S., & McDougall, P. (2003). Bullying is power: Implications for school-based intervention strategies. Special issue: Journal of Applied School Psychology, 19, 157–175.
- "Shelley Hymel". ubc.ca. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- "Outstanding Education alumni recognized at special annual event". College of Education. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- "Distinguished Alumni Award Winner, Shelley Hymel". Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education. 2015-03-16. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- Holt, Melissa K.; Green, Jennifer Greif; Tsay-Vogel, Mina; Davidson, Joanna; Brown, Claire (2017). "Multidisciplinary Approaches to Research on Bullying in Adolescence". Adolescent Research Review. 2 (1): 1–10. doi:10.1007/s40894-016-0041-0. ISSN 2363-8346.
- "Bullying Research Network | College of Education and Human Sciences". cehs.unl.edu. Retrieved 2019-11-26.
- "2015 UBC Killam Research Prize Awarded to Dr. Shelley Hymel". Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education. 2016-02-03. Retrieved 2019-11-26.