Shelly Johnson (Twin Peaks)
|Twin Peaks character|
|Created by||Mark Frost
|Portrayed by||Mädchen Amick|
|Full name||Shelly Johnson|
|Significant other(s)||Bobby Briggs
Shelly Johnson is a fictional character from the American television series Twin Peaks on ABC. She is portrayed by Mädchen Amick and was created by the series creators David Lynch and Mark Frost. Shelly is a waitress at the Double R Diner. She also appears in the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (1992) and is set to appear in the 2017 Twin Peaks series.
Shelly is a waitress who dropped out of high school to marry Leo Johnson, who she had fallen for after he gave her attention. Once they got married, she realized Leo just "wanted a maid he didn't have to pay for," in the words of Shelly. Leo is a sadistic wife beater and he has connections to Laura Palmer's murder. Shelly has been having an affair with Bobby Briggs, Laura's boyfriend. Leo finds out, and attempts to kill Shelly by tying her up inside the Packard Saw Mill and setting it on fire. However Catherine Martell, another intended victim of the fire, frees Shelly and helps her escape.
During the second season, Leo is in a catatonic state after being shot by Hank Jennings. Shelly quits her job at the Double R Diner to care for Leo at home, where she and Bobby have an open relationship. When Leo awakens from his catatonia and tries to kill Shelly, Bobby comes and fights with Leo. Shelly stabs Leo in the leg, and Leo wanders off into the woods. Shelly later asks Norma for her old job at the Double R Diner, which Norma gives back to her. Shelly later receives fragments of poetry from former FBI man Windom Earle. Shelly later enters the Miss Twin Peaks contest. Bobby later proposes to her, however she declines due to her marriage with Leo.
Rolling Stone praised the distinctiveness of the character stating that she was "Played by arguably the single best-looking human being on the show – and in a cast that included Sherilyn Fenn, Lara Flynn Boyle, Joan Chen, Peggy Lipton, Sheryl Lee, and Heather Graham, that's really saying something – Shelly Johnson was further away from the show's center than almost any of them. But that's kind of the point. Yes, she extricated herself from the high-school hell that consumed Laura by dropping out and getting married to brooding, drug-running trucker Leo Johnson. But that didn't save her from drudgery, boredom, betrayal, and abuse. It just moved the venue and raised the stakes."
- "'Twin Peaks' Star Madchen Amick Teases Revival Return". Screen Crush. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "'Twin Peaks' cast: Where are they now?". New York Post. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "'Twin Peaks' Cast: Who's Making It Back To The Show & Which Notable Cast Members Won't Be Returning". Indiewire. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Full Twin Peaks Cast Announced as Filming Concludes". Coming Soon. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Details on the returning cast for Twin Peaks". Flickering Myth. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Twin Peaks: Full Cast of Revival Series Revealed". in.ign.com. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Pie, coffee and death: Lynch revisits 'Twin Peaks'". USA Today. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Revisiting 'Twin Peaks' Season 2 Episode 1: May the Giant Be With You". Observer. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "The full cast list for the new Twin Peaks is here, and it's really, really strange". The Verge. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Twin Peaks: Full Cast of Revival Series Revealed". IGN. Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "See the Cast of 'Twin Peaks' Then and Now". Retrieved July 30, 2016.
- "Shelly Johnson - The 30 Best 'Twin Peaks' Characters". Rolling Stone. Retrieved July 30, 2016.