A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Instruments||Piano, guitar, vocals|
Shelly Meg Peiken is an American songwriter who is best known for co-writing the US #1 hits "What A Girl Wants" and "Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)" by Christina Aguilera the US #2 hit "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks, and the US #16 hit "Almost Doesn't Count" by Brandy. She has also written for or with Britney Spears, Natasha Bedingfield, Keith Urban, Celine Dion, Cher, Reba McEntire, Laura Pausini, NSYNC, Miley Cyrus, Ed Sheeran, Aaliyah, Selena Gomez, Idina Menzel and Demi Lovato.
Shelly Peiken grew up in Freeport, Long Island where she became interested in music at an early age.
Later, she attended the University of Maryland where she studied fashion design only to come to New York City afterwards where she spent many years developing her true passion as a singer songwriter.
She signed her first publishing deal with boutique company, Hit & Run Music, and went on to write songs for Brandy, Natalie Cole, Celine Dion, The Pretenders, Britney Spears, Jessie J, Demi Lovato, Selena Gomez, Inxs, Backstreet Boys, Keith Urban and many others.
In 1998, Shelly and Meredith Brooks earned a Best Rock Song Grammy nomination for "Bitch".
Further success followed with two No. 1's for Christina Aguilera, "What A Girl Wants" and "Come On Over Baby," "I Wanna Be With You" for Mandy Moore, "Hook Me Up" (a No. 1 in Australia, written with Greg Wells and The Veronicas), "Who You Are" (written with Toby Gad and Jessie J), "Human On The Inside" for the Pretenders (written with Mark McEntee), and "Almost Doesn't Count" for Brandy (written with Guy Roche).
She has blogged for notable sites such as Huffington Post, and Yamaha Music where she writes of her experiences as a songwriter, creativity, the challenges of the current music business, and the balancing of career and parenthood. She has a personal website and blog as well.
Shelly's first book, Confessions of a Serial Songwriter, was published by Backbeat Books, on March 1, 2016 and received a Grammy nomination in 2017 for Best Spoken Word Album. " 
She resides in Los Angeles with husband, film composer Adam Gorgoni and her daughter, Layla.
- Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. p. 52. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "40th Annual Grammy Awards: Final Nominations". Billboard. 17 January 1998. p. 78. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Songwriter Shelly Peiken Creates Hits for Others in Uncertain Profession | News | BMI.com". bmi.com. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "HIT & RUN MUSIC" (PDF). 20 January 2012. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "I Wanna Be With You - Kindle edition by Keith Thomas, Mandy Moore, Shelly Peiken, Tiffany Arbuckle. Arts & Photography Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com". Archived from the original on 2014-08-10. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "Girl Rock Nation - Artists - The Veronicas". girlrocknation.com. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "Song: Who You Are written by Jessie J,Shelly Peiken,Toby Gad | SecondHandSongs". secondhandsongs.com. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "Song: Human on the Inside written by Mark McEntee,Shelly Peiken | SecondHandSongs". secondhandsongs.com. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "Shelly Peiken blog". Huffington Post. Retrieved 3 June 2016.
- "Shelly Peiken". Yamaha Music. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
- Peiken, Shelly (2016). Confessions of a Serial Songwriter. Backbeat Books. ISBN 9781495049255.
- "Songwriter's Pie Anyone? | Shelly Peiken". huffingtonpost.com. 19 June 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2014.