|Predecessor||MFA Mutual Insurance Company|
|Matt Moore, President & CEO|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
"Shelter Insurance Companies 2014 Annual Report" (PDF). Shelter Insurance Companies. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
Shelter Insurance Company is a mutual insurance company which focuses on auto, property, business, and life Insurance. It operates in fifteen U.S. states and the headquarters is in Columbia, Missouri.
Shelter was founded in 1946 as the insurance subsidiary of the Missouri Farmers Association (the same company as MFA Incorporated), and was called MFA Mutual Insurance Company. The Shelter name came from the company's slogan, "M.F.A. is your Shield of Shelter". In 1981, the name was changed to Shelter Insurance Companies. The company's headquarters remained in Columbia. The Shelter Insurance Gardens are located at the company headquarters in Columbia.
Closing of Shelter Financial Bank
In September 2012 Shelter announced the nko closure of Shelter Financial Bank. Though profitable, the announcement cited the additional costs associated with the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act as the primary reason for closure.
- "Company History". Shelter Insurance Companies. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Shelter Gardens". Shelter Insurance Companies. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Shelter Bank to close". Shelter Insurance Companies. September 7, 2012. Archived from the original on June 29, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Dodd-Frank cited as reason for healthy community bank closure". Legal Newsline Legal Journal. January 8, 2013. Archived from the original on January 16, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Regulatory Burdens Prompt Insurer to Give Up on Banking". Insurance Networking News. January 7, 2013. Archived from the original on August 25, 2014. Retrieved January 17, 2013.