|Industry||Industrial Supplies Wholesalers, Ecommerce|
|Headquarters||Auburn Hills, Michigan|
|Products||Wire Shelving, Metal Shelving, Lockers, Home & Office Furniture, Warehouse & Industrial Storage|
Number of employees
Shelving, Inc. is a specialty retailer of shelving, racking, and storage products. The company was founded in 1960 by industrial engineer Jack Schodowski in Detroit, Michigan, and is currently being run by his sons and son-in-law.
Shelving, Inc. opened in a warehouse on Riopelle Street near downtown Detroit, Michigan, providing storage solutions for offices, warehouses, restaurants, retail stores, and more. As the business expanded and needed more space, it moved to larger facilities in west Detroit and eventually settled in a 25,000-square-foot (2,300 m2) building located in Auburn Hills, Michigan.
After 40 years of running the business, Jack retired and sold his interests in the company to three of his sons, John, Mike, and Joe. His son-in-law Jim Aiello also purchased shares in the company and is the project manager of the company today.
After the second generation took over the management of the company, they launched Shelving.com in 2000 and began selling products online in 2002. In 2007, the new owners launched TheShelvingStore.com, a separate B2C e-commerce site for home shelving and storage products. The growth of both stores earned Shelving, Inc. a position on the Michigan 50 Companies to Watch list in 2011.
Today, Shelving, Inc. remains a family-owned and operated company, maintaining two locations in Michigan. The corporate office is located in Auburn Hills, and the marketing department and e-commerce fulfillment center are located in Madison Heights.
Shelving, Inc. partnered with the Capuchin Soup Kitchen, a Detroit-based nonprofit, in 1993 and continues to donate 10% of its profits to the organization every year. The company also sponsored the Believe to Achieve Free Youth Football Camp, an annual camp for kids held in Warren, Michigan.
- "About Shelving, Inc". Shelving.com. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Improve Your Organization's Organization". Material Handling & Logistics. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Kalellis, Barry (July 29, 2010). "Family-Run Shelving Business Celebrates 50th Anniversary". The Oakland Press. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "About the Shelving Store". TheShelvingStore.com. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "2011 Award Winners". Michigan Celebrates Small Business. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Roush, Matt (April 28, 2011). "Michigan Celebrates Small Business Again". Southfield, MI: WWJ-TV. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Schodowski, Joe (January 28, 2014). "Family Business Grows, Helps Local Economy" (Press release). Shelving, Inc. Retrieved February 27, 2014 – via BWW Geeks World.
- "Benefit on the Bay's Proceeds Go to Soup Kitchen". Detroit Free Press. July 26, 2008. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Evans, Jim (July 11, 2010). "Jim Evans: This Football Camp Is Free—Believe It". The Oakland Press. Retrieved February 27, 2014.