Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd., was founded on 29 October 1962, in Mumbai, as a book circulating library, and today they are an established integrated media content house in India with activities across content acquisition, value addition to content and content distribution. Ghatothkach is the company's second animated film, which they co-produced with Sun Animatics.
Their Content Library consists of more than 2,500 titles spanning new Hindi films such as Ishqiya, Slumdog Millionaire, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Omkara, Dil Toh Baccha Hai, Chandni Chowk to China and Bheja Fry 2, amongst others. Hindi film classics such as Mughal-e-Azam, Shree 420, Mera Naam Joker, Anand, Amar Akbar Anthony, Namak Halaal, Kaalia, Madhumati etc. and titles in various other regional languages such as Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali among others as well as non-film content are part of their repertory. They are one of the largest independent content aggregators of Bollywood and CGI animated films such as Bal Ganesh. Maaza Navra Tuzi Baiko was Shemaroo's first film in the regional category, which was the highest grossing movie in Marathi Cinema for the year 2006.
Today, Shemaroo is an integrated film production, post production, distribution and animation studio.
History and background
In 1962, Shemaroo pioneered Mumbai's first circulating book library. Shemaroo Book Library and its extension for children Shemaroo Kidz became popular. Shemaroo Entertainment was started in 1962 by the Maroo brothers (Buddhichand, Atul and Raman) in collaboration with the Shethias. SHEthias + MAROO = Shemaroo. And thus was born Shemaroo.
In 1979, they set up India's first video rental business and thereafter in 1987, they forayed into distribution of content through the home video segment in the video home system ("VHS") format. Over the years, the company has adapted to changing content consumption patterns by expanding into content aggregation and distribution for broadcasting on television platforms. Their expansion has continued into new media platforms such as Mobile Value Added Services, DTH, internet platforms such as YouTube and more.
-  Archived 30 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Animation film 'Ghatothkach' to premier at Cannes". Merinews.com. 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- AKG Ties Up With Shemaroo Entertainment for Online Video Service, Upvery, 10 March 2010
- Nandini Raghavendra (20 August 2011). "How family-run enterprise Shemaroo grew from local to a national brand." The Economic Times. (accessed 2 February 2013)
- Gaurav Laghate (29 January 2013). "Shemaroo gets Maha govt tender for digital restoration." Business Standard. (accessed 2 February 2013)