Shemaroo Entertainment Ltd., was founded on October 29, 1962, in Mumbai, as a book circulating library, and today they are an established integrated media content house in India with activities across content acquisition, value addition to content and content distribution. Ghatothkach is the company's second animated film, which they co-produced with Sun Animatics.
Their Content Library consists of more than 2,500 titles spanning new Hindi films like Ishqiya, Slumdog Millionaire, Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani, Omkara, Dil Toh Baccha Hai, Chandni Chowk to China, Bheja Fry 2, amongst others. Hindi film classics like Mughal-e-Azam, Shree 420, Mera Naam Joker, Amar Akbar Anthony, Namak Halaal, Kaalia, Madhumati etc., titles in various other regional languages like Marathi, Gujarati, Punjabi, Bengali among others as well as non-film content. They are one of the largest independent content aggregators in Bollywood and CGI animated films like Bal Ganesh. Maaza Navra Tuzi Baiko was Shemaroo’s first film in the regional category which was the highest grossing movie in Marathi Cinema for the year 2006.
Today, Shemaroo is an integrated film production, post production, distribution and animation studio.
History & Background
In 1962, Shemaroo pioneered Mumbai's first circulating book library. Shemaroo Book Library and its extension for children ‘Shemaroo Kidz’ became popular.Shemaroo Entertainment was started in 1962 by the Maroo brothers (Buddhichand, Atul & Raman)in collaboration with the Shethias. SHEthias + MAROO = Shemaroo. And thus was born Shemaroo.
In 1979, they set up India's first video rental business and thereafter in 1987, they forayed into distribution of content through the home video segment in the video home system ("VHS”) format. Over the years, the Company has adapted to changing content consumption patterns by expanding into content aggregation and distribution for broadcasting on television platforms. Their expansion has continued into new media platforms such as Mobile Value Added Services, DTH, Internet platforms like YouTube and more.
-  Archived December 30, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Animation film 'Ghatothkach' to premier at Cannes". Merinews.com. 2008-05-08. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
- AKG Ties Up With Shemaroo Entertainment for Online Video Service Upvery, March 10, 2010
- Nandini Raghavendra (2011, Aug. 20). "How family-run enterprise Shemaroo grew from local to a national brand." The Economic Times. (accessed 2 Feb 2013)
- Gaurav Laghate (2013, Jan. 29). "Shemaroo gets Maha govt tender for digital restoration." Business Standard. (accessed 2 Feb 2013)