Shimr bin Ziljoshan or Shimr (Arabic: شمر ابن ذی الجوشن) was a son of Ziljoshan from the tribe of Banu Kelaab, one of Arabia's tribes. Umm ul-Banin, the mother of Abbas ibn Ali, was also from the Banu Kelaab tribe. Shimr has a villainous reputation in Shia Islam. He is known as the man who killed Islamic prophet Muhammad's grandson Hussein ibn Ali at the Battle of Karbala. Shia traditions relate that Shimr was eventually killed by Mukhtar al-Thaqafi's troops who wished to take revenge upon Husayn and his family's killers. His body was then torn to pieces by wild dogs.
- "Al-Husayn on ‘Ashura". Al-Islam.org. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Daniel Politi (20 January 2013). "Why is President Obama Depicted on a Huge Billboard in Tehran?". Slate magazine. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "Iran's Obama billboard: what it really means". The Guardian. 20 January 2013. Retrieved 16 February 2013.
- "تسليط الأضواء على هوية الجيش الذي قاتل الحسين؟". alshirazi.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "الكتب - البداية والنهاية - ثم دخلت سنة ست وستين - ذكر مقتل شمر بن ذي الجوشن ، أمير السرية التي قتلت حسينا- الجزء رقم12". islamweb.net. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Malekpour, Jamshid (2 Aug 2004). The Islamic Drama. Routledge. p. 38. ISBN 978-0714684468.
|This Islam-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|