|Meaning||toponymic; literally "Head of the guild"|
|Region of origin||India|
|Language(s) of origin||Sanskrit|
|श्रेणीपति > शेणीव्वई > शेणय|
The original word is Shrenipati or the leader of the guild, which got converted as Shennivayi in Apabhraṃśa, and later as Shenai or Shenvi in old Konkani.
Background and origins
The Shenoys were generally involved in administration of the city. The word "Shenoy" itself means a writer. GSBs were administrators of the temples. The word "Shenoy" is also interchangeable with its Sanskrit counterpart Shanbhag or Shanbhogue which means clerk.
The Saraswats migrated from Goa during the Muslim and Christian conquests during 1600, and carried their surname with them. Thus the word 'शणै' is transliterated in Latin script as Shenoy in Karnataka and as Xennai, Shenoi, Shenai or even Sinai in Goa. "Xennoi" was used in the erstwhile Portuguese territory of Goa but has given way to "Xennai" today.
The surname continues to be used by the Konkani Roman Catholics of Goa and Canara, who were descendants of the Shenoys. They may use their Catholic surnames along with their Saraswat surname (e.g. Pereira-Shenoy)
The following is a list of notable people with last name Shenoy.
- Aishwarya Nag - South Indian actress
- Arun Shenoy - composer and music producer who has received a Grammy Award nomination
- Basti Vaman Shenoy - Konkani activist and founder of World Konkani Centre in Mangalore
- Preeti Shenoy - artist and writer
- Samskruthy Shenoy - actress who has appeared in South Indian films
- Shenoi Goembab (1877–1946) - Konkani Pandit
- Suresh V. Shenoy - executive and philanthropist
- Vasudev V Shenoy (1940 – 2015) - Educationist, Educational Counsellor, Journalist and a Social Activist
- Vijay Balakrishna Shenoy - Professor of physics and recipient of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize, the highest science award in India
|This page lists people with the surname Shenoy. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|
- "Shenoy Family History". Oxford University Press. Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press.
- Pandtit Alahar Vijay. Pronology - The Dynamic Name Science - Pandtit Alahar Vijay - Google Books. Sura Books. ISBN 9788174787354.
- Angelus Francis Xavier Maffei. A Konkani Grammar - Angelus Francis Xavier Maffei - Google Books. Basel Mission & Tract Depository, 1882. p. 439.
- Manohararāya Saradesāya. A History of Konkani Literature: From 1500 to 1992 - Manohararāya Saradesāya - Google Books. Sahitya Akademi, 2000. p. 317. ISBN 9788172016647.
- Pius Fidelis Pinto (1999). History of Christians in Coastal Karnataka, 1500-1763 A.D. - Pius Fidelis Pinto - Google Books. Samanvaya, 1999. p. 330.