|National origin||People's Republic of China|
|Manufacturer||Shenyang Aircraft Corporation|
|Status||In service, in production.|
|Primary user||People's Liberation Army Air Force|
|Number built||1 flying prototype, 24 reported built.|
|Developed from||Shenyang J-11BS|
The Shenyang J-16 (Chinese: 歼-16) is a strike fighter designed and manufactured by Shenyang Aircraft Corporation, China. This is a multi-role fighter/bomber variant based on the J-11BS with longer range and upgraded avionics, a concept similar to F-15E Strike Eagle. The first few photos of J-16 were published on Chinese internet websites around June 2012. The J-16 has a slightly different vertical stabilizer compared to J-11 fighter or J-15 naval fighter. It is also equipped with missile pylons for Chinese PL-8 air-to-air missiles, another difference compared to earlier J-11 variants.
Like the J-11BS and the J-15, the fighter features numerous enhancements such as an AESA radar from the 607th institute (the same manufacturer of the AESA found on the J-11B and J-15), composites, radar-absorbent material, missile approach warning system, WS-10 engine, electronic countermeasure upgrades, and more.
The J-16 is able to carry a full range of indigenous Chinese equipment including super and subsonic anti-ship missiles, air to air missiles, satellite guided bombs, cruise missiles and electronic countermeasure (ECM) jammers.
- Crew: 2
- Length: 21.9 m (72 ft)
- Wingspan: 14.7 m (48.25 ft)
- Height: 6.36 m (20.85 ft)
- Wing area: 62.04 m2 (667.80 ft2)
- Empty weight: 17,700 kg (38,600 lb)
- Loaded weight: 26,000 kg (58,000 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 35,000 kg (77,000 lb)
- Powerplant: 2 × WS-10A afterburning turbofans
- Dry thrust: 89.17 kN (20,050 lbf) each
- Thrust with afterburner: 135 kN (33,000 lbf) each
- Maximum speed: Mach 2.0
- Range: 3900 km (2400 mi)
- Service ceiling: 17,300 m (56,800 ft)
- Rate of climb: 305 m/s ()
- 1 × 30 mm GSh-30-1 cannon with 150 rounds
- Munitions on twelve external hardpoints, including:
- 8 × PL-12, and 4 × PL-9 air-to-air missiles
- Various bombs and rockets including BeiDou satellite-guided bombs and laser-guided bombs
- Anti-ship and anti-radiation missiles
- Electronic countermeasure (ECM) pods
- Related development
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Related lists
- "China's newest fighter jet J-16 revealed online". www.wantchinatimes.com. CNA. 5 January 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2014.
- "Shenyang J-16 (Red Eagle) Multirole Fighter / Strike Fighter". Military Factory. 2014-01-16. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- "Chinese Military Aviation". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- John Pike. "J-16 (Jianjiji-16 Fighter aircraft 16) / F-16". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Source: Chinese Navy Commissioned Copy of Russian Fighter". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Defence News - China's newest fighter jet J-16 revealed - it's a copy of Su-30MKK". Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Chinese Air Force Takes Delivery of New J-16 Strike Fighters". Retrieved 2015-05-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shenyang military aircraft.|
- J-16 Multi Role Fighter Bomber of China, J-16 fighter/bomber photos and introductions, AirForceWorld.com