Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School
|Type||National, Graduate and Research University|
|Chancellor||Dr. Wu Yundong|
|Campus||Urban 21 hectares (52 acres)|
|Affiliations||IARU, AEARU, APRU, BESETOHA, C9|
|Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School|
The Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School (PKU Shenzhen) is a public research university established as a satellite graduate school of Peking University in 2001 via a joint venture with the Shenzhen Municipal Government. It is situated inside the University Town of Shenzhen, along with the graduate schools of Tsinghua University and the Harbin Institute of Technology. The present chancellor of Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School is Dr. Wu Yundong.
Peking University Shenzhen is a fully residential university. Peking University Shenzhen's campus is located in the Nanshan district of Shenzhen within the University Town of Shenzhen alongside graduate schools of Tsinghua University and Harbin Institute of Technology.
The campus is spread over an area of 22 hectares (55 acres) with an integrated academic block with more than 51,908 square meters of classroom and laboratory space and an international conference center. The HSBC Business School is housed in a separate building.
PKU Shenzhen is a graduate education institution comprising eight schools and 30 research laboratories, among which are several major State-level institutions:
- HSBC Business School
- School of Transnational Law
- School of Chemical Biology and Biotechnology
- School of Electronic and Computer Engineering
- School of Environment and Energy
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Urban Planning and Design
- School of Advanced Materials
HSBC Business School
Full-Time Master's Programs
- HSBC Business School offers full-time graduate programs in Economics, Management and Quantitative Finance with instruction in English. The school also runs several graduate programs with the language of instruction as Mandarin Chinese.
- PKU HSBC Business School's full-time MBA program started in 2012. Currently this program is only open to domestic students and is conducted solely in Mandarin Chinese.
The school also runs Executive Master of Business Administration(EMBA) and Executive Development Programs(EDP).
PHBS Financial Research Laboratory
The HSBC Business School Financial Research Laboratory is a National Key Laboratory established by the direct financial support of the Chinese government and specializes in financial product development, financial market research, and financial transactions training . The lab conducts research and training in the various fields of finance . The PHBS Finance Lab releases a real time index called China Commodity Futures Index which is used for trading commodities all over China.
School of Transnational Law
The School of Transnational Law (STL) is the world’s first law school to offer a program that combines a Chinese Juris master's degree and an American Juris Doctor degree. .
The curriculum covers the full scope of the two nations’ legal systems, as well as a variety of legal systems from Europe and Asia. Combining theory and practice, the pedagogy deploys the Socratic Method and other techniques to foster the skills required at the highest levels of legal practice. Jeffrey Lehman served as the founding dean of the School of Transnational Law.
Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School is served by the Shenzhen Science and Technology Library situated on campus. The library is shared by the graduate schools of Peking University, Tsinghua University and Harbin Institute of Technology and is open to the general public as well. The library at present holds 1.5 million books, journals and bound periodicals 3000 general seats and caters to over 8000 visitors per day. The library offers a wide array of books spread over four floors with over 1700 data ports and 210 internet enabled computers for personal use. The various services of the library include research services, circulation services, citations reporting service, documentation service, competitive intelligence counselling, translation service and the media lab of the library provides multimedia information services. Apart from the University Town Library, Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School students are also served Shenzhen Library with a collection of over 4 million books and periodicals making it one of the largest libraries in China. The University Town Library also houses the Peking University School of Transnational Law Legal Research Center.
The library building is spread over four floors with a total area of 52000 square meters and was designed by RMJM. The library is shaped like " a dragon spanning a river " with a length of 480 meters that mirrors the landscape of the region. The library has won several awards for its sustainable design such as 2007 American Institute of Architects Merit award, 2008: The Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design, International Architecture Award and 2008: Hong Kong Design Centre - Design for Asia Merit Award. The allied resources of the library include a 260-seat scholarly conference hall, two 78 seat training classrooms, a 60-seat conference hall, 24 personal research rooms, 5 discussion rooms for group discussion, meetings etc.
University Town of Shenzhen Library offers online resources including subscription various databases such as ProQuest-ABI/INFORM, EconLit, Ebrary, MyiLibrary, ScienceDirect-Elsevier, Factiva and provide complete access to American Economic Association journals, Journal of Finance, Harvard Business Review back volumes etc. The Peking University HSBC Business School subscribes to Wharton School's Wharton Research and Data Services network and all its allied databases such as Compustat, CRSP. The school also has access to EconLit, Bloomberg Data and Wind data and CSMAR databases. Students also have access to the online resources of Peking University main campus website in Beijing.
Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School has collaborated with several globally renowned universities . PKU Shenzhen's School of Environmental Engineering houses the Singapore Peking Oxford Research Enterprise (SPORE) program and research center in collaboration with Oxford University and National University of Singapore and offers joint degree programs. Other collaborative research centers at PKU Shenzhen include Urban and Regional Planning Co-Research Center jointly run with University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Hong Kong- Shenzhen Development and Innovation Center with the University of Hong Kong and Renewable Energy Research Center with University of California, Berkeley.
Several departments especially School of Transnational Law and HSBC Business School run exchange and dual degree programs universities around the world . The School of Transnational Law has exchange agreements with Bucerius Law School (Germany), Center for Transnational Legal Studies (London), EBS Law School (Germany), Fundação Getulio Vargas Law School of São Paulo (Brazil), International University College of Turin (Italy), Maastricht University (Netherlands), Tel Aviv University(Israel), University of Indiana Maurer School of Law (USA), University of Iowa College of Law (USA), University of Lausanne Faculty of Law and Criminal Justice (Switzerland), University of Miami School of Law (USA), University of San Diego School of Law (USA). Peking University HSBC Business School currently has exchange agreements with over 30 universities all over the globe . Some of them are Frankfurt School of Finance, University of California, Davis, Zurich University of Applied Sciences, College of William and Mary(USA), Tulane University A.B. Freeman School of Business, Universidad de Monterrey (Mexico), University of Cologne, University of Western Sydney etc.
HSBC Business School has dual degree agreements with the University of Hong Kong, Chinese University of Hong Kong, National University of Singapore and a joint MBA program with Hong Kong University of Science and Technology .
Peking University Shenzhen constantly participates in Peking University Track and Field events as well as several inter-university events in China. Peking University Shenzhen has formal teams for more than 20 athletic events including basketball, football, table tennis, rowing etc. Peking University Shenzhen won several awards at the 2012 PKU Track and Field competition and its rowing team was placed second at the University Town Rowing Competition.
The athletics and sports facilities of PKU Shenzhen include a standard 400 m athletic track, a soccer field, four tennis courts, three basketball courts, a world class gymnasium, four badminton courts etc. PKU Shenzhen students also have access to common sports facilities of the University Town of Shenzhen which include several tennis courts, a 4000-seat Olympic standard stadium and Olympic standard swimming pool.
Some of PKU Shenzhen's present faculty members include:
- Dr. Wen Hai: Founder of China Center for Economic Research and former Vice-President of Peking University.
- Dr. Fan Gang: Renowned economist and Secretary General of China Reform Foundation.
- Philip McConnaughay: Former Dean of the Dickinson School of Law at Pennsylvania State University.
- Stephen Yandle: Former Associate Dean of Yale Law School.
- Dr. Chen Shiyi: Renowned physicist and former Alonzo G. Decker Jr. Chair professor at Johns Hopkins University.
Former faculty members include Jeffrey S. Lehman, former President of Cornell University, Charles Ogletree, former visiting professor at School of Transnational Law and Jesse Climenko, professor at Harvard Law School.
- Peking University
- China Center for Economic Research
- Peking University HSBC Business School
- C9 League
- Peking University School of Transnational Law
- PKUSZ overview.[dead link]
- "About Peking University HSBC Business School - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- "PKU HSBC Financial Lab - Faculty Resource - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/studium-lehre/bachelor/vwl/2013_Brochure.pdf?1363524137[dead link]
- http://english.pkusz.edu.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=104[dead link]
- http://www.szlib.gov.cn/english/index.jsp?pid=1http://english.pkusz.edu.cn/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=104[dead link]
- http://www.szlib.gov.cn/english/index.jsp?pid=1[dead link]
- http://lrcguides.stl.pku.edu.cn/home?NodeCode=925007001[dead link]
- "The University Town Library - RMJM".
- "Shenzhen University Building, Town Library, Photo: Shenzhen University Town Library - e-architect". 30 November 2007.
- http://metalib.utsz.edu.cn:8331/V?FUNC=find-ej-1&NEW_LNG=eng[dead link]
- http://metalib.utsz.edu.cn:8331/V?FUNC=meta-1&NEW_LNG=eng[dead link]
- "PHBS Database and Software Resources - Student Resources - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- "Faculty Resource - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- "International Exposure - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- "Wen Hai - Full-time Professors - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- "Gang Fan - Full-time Professors - Peking University HSBC Business School(PHBS)". english.phbs.pku.edu.cn.
- http://stl.pku.edu.cn/en/content-1276-4-1.html[dead link]
- http://stl.pku.edu.cn/en/content-1317-93-1.html[dead link]
- http://stl.pku.edu.cn/en/content-1284-38-1.html[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peking University Shenzhen Graduate School.|