Sheridan station (CTA)
|Location||3940 North Sheridan Road
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 island platforms|
|Tracks||4 (only 3 in use)|
|Opened||May 31, 1900|
|Passengers (2015)||1,846,676 1.3%|
|Rank||35 out of 143[a]|
Sheridan is an 'L' station on the CTA's Red Line. It is an elevated station with two island platforms, located at 3940 North Sheridan Road, in the Wrigleyville neighborhood of Chicago's Lakeview community area. Sheridan is the closest 'L' stop to Graceland Cemetery, which is about one-half mile to the west on Irving Park Road. The Sheridan station is one of only two stations on the 'L' that is built on an S-curve, with Indiana on the Green Line being the other.
Purple Line connections
Beginning spring 2007 and lasting through 2009, northbound and southbound Purple Line Express trains stop at Sheridan before Chicago Cubs weekday night games in order to provide more service to nearby Wrigley Field. Previously, trains had stopped at the Addison station to the south but that station does not have platform access to the express tracks as Sheridan does, which required Purple Line trains to cross over to the Red Line tracks. In order to prevent this from adding to delays caused by the Brown Line reconstruction, the stop was moved to Sheridan. Recently, Inbound Express Purple Line has begun stopping at Sheridan as well as Wilson and Addison during the morning rush hour.
Red & Purple Modernization Project
As part of the recommended Red & Purple Modernization Project, the Sheridan station will potentially be replaced with a new Irving Park station if the CTA decides not to go with the "no action" alternative.
- #X9 Ashland Express (weekday rush hours only)
- #80 Irving Park
- #151 Sheridan
Although the station has two island platforms—potentially giving access to all four tracks that run through the station—normally only the Red Line, which runs on the inner tracks, stops at the station. The outside tracks are used during weekday rush hours by Purple Line Express trains, which typically pass through the station without stopping on the express leg of their route between Howard and the Loop.
Notes and references
- Due to possible double-counting of physically-connected stations, the CTA's official 2015 tally of stations was 146, but for ridership purposes reported having only 143 stations.
- "Annual Ridership Report – 2015" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 13, 2016. Retrieved May 29, 2016.
- CTA Provides Service to Wrigley Field This Baseball Season. Chicago Transit Authority. 2007-04-05. Retrieved on 2007-05-21.
- "Red & Purple Line Modernization Alternatives Being Considered". Chicago Transit Authority. transitchicago.com. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheridan (CTA).|