Sheridan Lake, Colorado
Town of Sheridan Lake, Colorado
Sheridan Lake in 2015.
Location of Sheridan Lake in Kiowa County, Colorado.
|State||State of Colorado|
|• Type||Statutory Town|
|• Total||0.32 sq mi (0.82 km2)|
|• Land||0.32 sq mi (0.82 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||4,072 ft (1,241 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||271.29/sq mi (104.72/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0195322|
|Website||Town of Sheridan Lake|
Sheridan Lake is located at (38.468274, -102.293155).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all of it land. The town is situated just to the north of the site of the small lake for which it was named. Recent aerial photos appear to indicate that the lake is mostly dried-up now, with only an alkali lake bed remaining.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 66 people, 27 households, and 16 families residing in the town. The population density was 203.5 people per square mile (79.6/km²). There were 41 housing units at an average density of 126.4 per square mile (49.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 95.45% White, 1.52% African American, 1.52% from other races, and 1.52% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.55% of the population. Sheridan Lake is also known as "The littlest town that ever did live".
There were 27 households out of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.1% were married couples living together, 3.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.7% were non-families. 37.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the town, the population was spread out with 31.8% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 31.8% from 25 to 44, 21.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females, there were 112.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 114.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,750, and the median income for a family was $21,500. Males had a median income of $20,313 versus $8,750 for females. The per capita income for the town was $9,981. There were no families and 3.4% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Archived from the original on 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-11-30.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 25, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Post offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 9 July 2016.
- Dawson, John Frank. Place names in Colorado: why 700 communities were so named, 150 of Spanish or Indian origin. Denver, CO: The J. Frank Dawson Publishing Co. p. 46.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheridan Lake, Colorado.|