Sherie Rene Scott
|Sherie Rene Scott|
Sherie Rene Scott
February 8, 1967 |
|Occupation||Actress, singer, writer|
Sherie Rene Scott (born February 8, 1967) is an American actress, singer, writer and producer. She is a co-founder of Grammy Award-winning Sh-K-Boom Records and Ghost light Records. She has also been seen in multiple Off-Broadway and Broadway musicals/plays, and appears on numerous solo and original cast recordings.
Life and career
Scott was born in Kentucky. When she was 4 years old, her family moved to Topeka, Kansas, where she grew up. Scott moved from Topeka to New York City when she was 18 to attend the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre. She is a writer in residence at Second Stage Theater and lives with her son in New York City.
Scott will appear in The Front Page as 'Mollie Malloy' with an all-star cast including Nathan Lane, John Slattery, Holland Taylor, John Goodman, Jefferson Mays and Robert Morse. Jack O'Brien will direct the production premiering on Broadway Fall 2016 at the Broadhurst Theatre.
Whorl Inside A Loop, written by Scott and Dick Scanlan, premiered August 27, 2015 at the Second Stage Theatre. Directed by Michael Mayer and Mr. Scanlan, Whorl garnered critical acclaim, including several 'Best of 2015 Theater' Lists.
Scott's You May Now Worship Me, co-authored with Dick Scanlan, raised $200,000 to benefit the Phyllis Newman's Women's Health Initiative of The Actor's Fund. The one night only fundraiser premiered March 31, 2008 at The Eugene O'Neill Theatre. You May Now Worship Me would later become the concept behind Everyday Rapture.
In 2010, Scott starred in the critically acclaimed production Everyday Rapture, which Scott wrote with co-author Dick Scanlan. Everyday Rapture began its run on Broadway at the American Airlines Theatre in previews April 19, 2010, and officially opened on April 29, 2010. The show played to sold out audiences throughout the run, finally ending its limited engagement on July 11, 2010. Scott received Tony Award nominations for Best Book, and Best Leading Actress in a Musical, and Drama Desk Award nominations in the categories of Best Leading Actress, Best Book, and Best Musical for Rapture.
On Broadway she has starred in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, garnering nominations for a Tony Award, a Drama Desk Award and an Outer Critics Circle Award. She starred as Amneris in Elton John and Tim Rice's Aida (2000), for which she won the Clarence Derwent Award and was a Drama League Honoree. The single "A Step Too Far" performed by Elton John, Heather Headley and Sherie Rene Scott from the 1999 Elton John And Tim Rice's Aida Concept Album charted at #15.
Other Broadway credits include Sally Simpson in Tommy (1993), Marty in Grease (1995–96), Maureen in Rent (1997). She originated the role of Ursula in The Little Mermaid (2007) for which she received her second Outer Critics Circle Award nomination for Outstanding Featured Actress in a Musical. She starred as Pepa in the musical adaptation of "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown", on Broadway, which opened on November 4, 2010. For this role she was nominated for the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical.
Off-Broadway roles include John Guare's play Landscape of the Body at the Signature Theatre, for which she received a 2006 Obie Award and a Lucille Lortel Award and was a Drama League honoree. Musicals include Jason Robert Brown's The Last Five Years for which she received a Drama Desk Award nomination, and the title role in Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical.
Scott can be heard on the original off-broadway cast recording of The Last Five Years along with Norbert Leo Butz. She is a producer of the film The Last Five Years starring Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan. Scott also makes an appearance in the film.
In regional theatre, she has appeared in world premiere productions of Randy Newman's Faust (1995). She appeared in Kander and Ebb's Over and Over, at the Signature Theatre, which was a musical adaptation of The Skin of Our Teeth, receiving a nomination for a Helen Hayes Award.
Scott co-founded the Grammy Award–winning Sh-K-Boom Records and Ghostlight Records, which seeks to preserve original cast albums and solo recordings by Broadway artists. The records, produced over 150 albums, garnered 3 Grammy awards, and 12 Grammy nominations. SKB/Ghostlight Grammy Awards include those for the cast albums of In the Heights, The Book of Mormon and Beautiful. SKB/Ghostlight received a 2006 Drama Desk Award for dedication to the preservation of musical theatre through cast recordings. The label won their first Grammy in 2009 for the Original Cast Recording of In The Heights. Scott ended her tenure in 2015.
Scott can be heard on numerous Grammy Award-winning and OBC cast albums, the Billboard hit single "A Step Too Far" with Elton John, "The Folks Who Live On The Hill" with jazz great Bill Charlap, as well as the critically acclaimed, "Sherie Rene…Men I've Had", Everyday Rapture the original Broadway cast album, and All Will Be Well: The Piece Of Meat Studio Sessions, produced with Todd Almond. Scott did a try-out of her new, "critically acclaimed" work, Piece of Meat, in collaboration with Todd Almond, in the 2012 Adelaide Cabaret Festival and premiered it in New York City at 54 Below from October 16–27, 2012.
|1993||The Who's Tommy||Sally Simpson||St. James Theatre
April 22, 1993 – June 17, 1995
|1995||Grease||Marty (replacement)||Eugene O'Neill Theatre
1995 – 1996
|1997||Rent||Maureen Johnson (replacement)||Nederlander Theatre
March 23, 2000 – September 5, 2004
|2005||Dirty Rotten Scoundrels||Christine Colgate||Imperial Theatre
January 31, 2005 – September 3, 2006
|2007||The Little Mermaid||Ursula||Lunt-Fontanne Theatre
November 3, 2007 – January 25, 2009
|2008||You May Now Worship Me||Herself||Benefit Concert at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre
March 31, 2008
|2010||Everyday Rapture||Herself||American Airlines Theatre
April 29, 2010 – July 11, 2010
|Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown||Pepa||Belasco Theatre
November 4, 2010 – January 2, 2011
|1995||Randy Newman's Faust||Martha||The La Jolla Playhouse|
|2002||Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical||Debbie||Jane Street Theatre|
|The Last Five Years||Cathy Hyatt||Minetta Lane Theatre|
|Next to Normal (workshop)||Diana Goodman|
|2006||Landscape of the Body||Rosalie||Peter Norton Space|
|2015||Whorl Inside a Loop||Volunteer||Second Stage Theatre |
- 2011 "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2010 "Everyday Rapture" (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2008 Disney's The Little Mermaid (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – Disney
- 2005 Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2005 Hair (Actors' Fund of America Benefit Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2005 Bright Lights, Big City (Cast Recording Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2002 The Last Five Years (Off-Broadway Cast Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2002 Debbie Does Dallas (Off-Broadway Cast Recording) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 2000 Aida (Original Broadway Cast Recording) – Disney
- 2000 Sherie Rene Scott: Men I've Had (Solo CD) – Sh-K-Boom Records
- 1999 Elton John And Tim Rice's Aida (1999 Concept Album) – Island Records
|1990||Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Coming Out of Their Shells Tour||April O'Neil||Filmed live at Radio City Music Hall|
|1998||The Almost Perfect Bank Robbery||Dawn||TV movie|
|2003||Marci X||Kirsten Blatt|
|2007||P.S. I Love You||Barbara|
|2015||The Last Five Years||Cameo||Woman in an audition with Cathy|
Awards and nominations
- "With a Grammy Win and a Big Screen Last Five Years Launch, Kurt Deutsch is Having a Good Week". Broadway.com. February 9, 2015. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- Some sources give 1969, but Scott herself, at the Official Sherie Rene Scott Myspace Page and at Lovece, Frank, "Sherie Rene Scott is caught up in the 'Rapture'", Newsday, May 6, 2010, gives 1967
- Gans, Andrew. "Diva Talk: A Chat with Scoundrels' Sherie Rene Scott", Playbill, June 3, 2005
- "Sherie Rene Scott - Alumni".
- Cox, Gordon (2016-03-29). "Nathan Lane, John Slattery to Star in 'The Front Page' on Broadway". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Review: In ‘Whorl Inside a Loop,’ Inmates Shape Their Stories". The New York Times. August 28, 2015.
- Stasio, Marilyn (September 3, 2015). "Off Broadway Review: Sherie Rene Scott's 'Whorl Inside a Loop'".
- Desk, BWW News. "BC/EFA Presents Sherie Rene Scott in 'You May Now Worship Me' Benefit March 31".
- Lenzi, Linda. "Photo Coverage: Sherie Rene Scott in 'You May Now Worship Me".
- Sherie Rene Scott at the Internet Broadway Database
- Jones, Kenneth.Everyday Rapture, With Sherie Rene Scott, Will Play Broadway; Opening Is April 29 Playbill.com, April 1, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."Just the Nominees, Please: 2010 Tony Award Nominations Announced" Playbill.com, May 3, 2010
- Jones, Kenneth."Dirty Rotten Scoundrels Ends Its Broadway Streak Sept. 3; Tour Is Hot" Playbill.com, September 3, 2006
- Jones, Kenneth."Just the Facts: List of 2005 Tony Award Winners and Nominees" Playbill.com, June 6, 2005
- "'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' listing, 2005–2006" Internet Broadway Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- "'Aida' listing, 2000–2004" Internet Broadway Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- Lefkowitz, David."Aida's Scott and Green Bird's Smith Are Derwent Winners, June 13" Playbill.com, June 13, 2000
- Gans, Andrew."Fish Got to Swim: Little Mermaid Opens on Broadway Jan. 10" Playbill.com, January 10, 2008
- "'The Little Mermaid' listing, 2008–2009" Internet Broadway Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."South Pacific Is Big Winner in Outer Critics Circle Awards" Playbill.com, May 12, 2008
- Hetrick, Adam."Patti LuPone, Sherie Rene Scott and Laura Benanti Are Women on the Verge Beginning Oct. 8" Playbill, October 8, 2010
- "Patti LuPone Brian Stokes Mitchell Sherie Rene Scott Cast in Broadways 'Women on the Verge'" playbill.com
- Hetrick, Adam."Broadway's 'Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown' Will Close Early" Playbill.com, December 28, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."56th Annual Drama Desk Nominations Announced; Book of Mormon Scores 12 Nominations" Playbill.com, April 29, 2011
- Jones, Kenneth."Adam Rapp, Lois Smith, Sherie Rene Scott among 2006 Obie Award Winners" Playbill.com, May 15, 2006
- "Lortel Awards, 2007" lortel.org, retrieved May 21, 2010
- "'Last 5 Years': All the Theater World Cameos".
- "Sherie Rene Scott, Jason Robert Brown, Betsy Wolfe and More Make Cameos in 'Last Five Years' Film | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "'Last 5 Years': All the Theater World Cameos". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Davidson, Susan."Some Thoughts on 'Over and Over'" curtainup.com, February 10, 1999
- "Helen Hayes Award winners and nominees, 2000" helenhayes.org, retrieved May 21, 2010
- Feldman, Adam."Sh-K-Boom time"Time Out New York, Issue 615 : Jul 11–18, 2007
- Simonson, Robert."The Melody Lingers On: Small Labels Keep Theatre Music Alive" Playbill.com, March 29, 2007
- "Sherie Rene Scott".
- "Sherie Rene Scott on Bringing Piece of Meat to London, Producing The Last Five Years on Screen & Playing a 'F**kable Mom'".
- Gans, Andrew."Sherie Rene Scott, Laura Benanti, Leslie Uggams, Victor Garber, Liz Callaway and More Join Lineup for 54 Below" Playbill.com, March 14, 2012
- "Sherie Rene Scott Broadway credits and awards" Internet Broadway Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- "LaJolla Playhouse history" lajollaplayhouse.com, retrieved May 21, 2010
- Hernandez, Ernio."Sherie René Scott and Paul Fitzgerald Do Debbie for the Last Time, Jan. 4" Playbill.com, December 30, 2002
- Sommer, Elyse."Review" curtainup.com, March 5, 2002
- Simonson, Robert."Foster, Wilson and Scott Join Performers on Drama Desk Ceremony, May 19" Playbill.com, May 14, 2002
- "Sherie René Scott and Norbert Leo Butz Reunite for New Musical Feeling Electric, July 22" Playbill.com, July 17, 2002
- Sommer, Elyse and Gutman, Les."Curtain Up review, 2003 and 2006" curtainup.com, July 12, 2003 and April 10, 2006
- Clement, Olivia,"Sherie Rene Scott Says Prison Drama Whorl Inside a Loop Is Broadway Bound, 2015" Playbill.com, December 7, 2015
- "Sherie Rene Scott recordings at amazon.com amazon.com, retrieved May 22, 2010
- Hetrick, Adam and Hernandez, Ernio.""Get Happy": Cast Album of Sherie Rene Scott's Everyday Rapture Hits iTunes April 27" playbill.com, April 27, 2010
- Gans, Andrew."Little Mermaid Broadway Cast Recording Now Available for Pre-Sale" playbill.com, December 14, 2007
- Gans, Andrew."Bright Lights, Big City CD – with Patrick Wilson – Hits Stores June 21" Playbill.com, June 21, 2005
- "Status of 2000 Cast Albums" Playbill.com, December 26, 2000
- "Listing, 'The Almost Perfect Bank Robbery'" Internet Movie Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- Frank, Jonathan."Interview with Sherie Rene Scott" talkinbroadway.com, October 2002
- "Listing, 'Marci X'" Internet Movie Database, retrieved May 21, 2010
- "'P.S. I Love You' listing" allmovie.com, retrieved May 22, 2010
- "Playbill confirms Sherie Rene Scott cameo" playbill.com, retrieved June 26, 2013