Sherine in 2017
شيرين سيد محمد عبد الوهاب
|Birth name||Sherine Sayed Mohammed Abdel-Wahab|
|Born||October 8, 1980|
|Labels||Free Music Art Production (1999–2006)|
Rotana Records (2007–2012)
Nogoum Records (2013–2018)
Rotana Records (2019–present)
|Associated acts||Mohamed Mohey, Tamer Hosny, Mohamed Mustafa, Hossam Habib|
Sherine Sayed Mohammed Abdel-Wahab (Arabic: شيرين سيد محمد عبد الوهاب), known by the mononym Sherine (Arabic: شيرين; born October 8, 1980), is an Egyptian singer, actress, TV host and personality, and a former judge on MBC's The Voice Ahla Sawt.
She was born on October 9, 1980, in Cairo, Egypt. Her first name means sweet in Persian, also a famous queen of king Khosrow II. She was born into a middle-class family, Her father, Sayed Abdel-Wahab, is a decorator, and her mother, a housewife. Sherine has two siblings, a brother and a sister.
As a child, Sherine's vocal talent was first discovered by her music teacher at school; at the age of nine, her teacher convinced her mother to take her to the Cairo Opera House to meet Selim Sehab, a very famous Egyptian classical music conductor. She sang in front of him, and he liked her voice a lot. From the age of nine to the age of 12, she sang as a choral member at the Cairo Opera House, then she was given a chance to perform as a solo singer and had tremendous success. She kept singing at the Cairo Opera House while looking for a music producer to start her professional career. At the age of 18, she was introduced to Nasr Mahrous, a prominent starmaker, director and music producer, he liked her voice and decided to collaborate with her through the company, Free Music, where she met with Tamer Hosny, then a new talent seeking an opportunity too. Nasr Mahrous decided to make her debut as a joint album for both Tamer Hosni and Sherine included two duet songs showcasing them together. The album was released in September, 2002, by the title Free Mix3 - Tamer & Sherine and was a big hit all across the Arab World. The album sold more than 20 Million copies all across the Arab World.
Sherine starred opposite Ahmed Helmy in Mido Mashakel (Arabic: ميدو مشاكل). The 2003 film was directed by Muhammad al-Najjar. In addition, she starred in the Ramadan series "Tareeqi" (My Path/Road), June 2015. The series depicts her as a young lady who struggles in achieving her lifelong dream of becoming a famous singer due to social restriction, regulations and opposition from her family. Other actors/actresses starring in the show were Egyptian actor Mahmoud Al Jundi, actress Sawsan Badr, actor Ahmad Fahmi and Syrian actor Basel Khayat. The drama is written by Tamer Habib and directed by Mohammad Shaker.
Sherine was the host of her own talk-show, Sherry's Studio, on the Egyptian network, dmc TV, which premiered in January 2017.
Sherine got married in Cairo, Egypt, on April 7, 2018, to the Egyptian singer, Hossam Habib. The wedding was only attended by immediate family members and the managers and organizer of the couple, including Sherine's daughters (Maryam and Hana) from her second marriage to composer, Mohammed Mustafa.
In 2017, a video recorded at a concert showed her responding to a song request by saying "drinking from the Nile will get me schistosomiasis" when she was asked to sing the song Mashrebtesh Men Nilha (You Didn't Drink From Its Nile) at a concert. And then the Egyptian Musicians Syndicate decided to suspend her right to perform in Egypt over her apparent "unjustified mockery of our dear Egypt" after viewing the video. Sherine later apologized for her "foolish joke" at the concert.
- Free Mix 3 with Tamer Hosny (2002) Label: Free Music Art Production
- Garh Tany (translation: Another Wound) (2003) Label: Free Music Art Production
- Lazem Ayesh (translation: I have to Live/Survive) (2005) Label: Free Music Art Production
- Batamenak (I'm Reassuring You) (2008) Label: Rotana
- Habeat (I Fell in Love) (2009) Label: Rotana
- Esaal Alaya (Ask About Me) (2012) Label: Rotana
- Ana Kiteer (2014) Label: Nogoum Records
- Tareqe (2015)
- "Ma Sherebtesh Min Nelha" (Popular Egyptian patriotic song)
- "Ma Btefrahsh"
- "Baladi" ft. Muhammad Noor
- "Just A Dream (Coke Studio/Arabic Version) [with Nelly]
- "Al'am Al Jadeed" ft. Fadl Shaker
- "Lebnan Fel Alb" (Dedicated for Lebanon during the 2006 Lebanon War)
- "Albi Leek" ft. Hany Shakir
- "Bahibik Ya Omi"
- "Howa Da"
- "Sida Da"
- "Kol Maghanni"
- "Ayesht Masr" (Egyptian patriotic song)
- "Egyptian pop star Sherine reverses retirement decision". Gulf News. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "صور شيرين عبد الوهاب مع والدتها فهل تشبهها؟ - موقع ليالينا". www.layalina.com. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "شيرين عبد الوهاب ترافق والدها بالمستشفي". www.itfarrag.com (in Arabic). Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "شيرين عبد الوهاب في 'آخر من يعلم' - Laha Magazine". Laha Magazine. 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Tamer Hosny". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- "Virgin Megastore". mailer.virginmegastore.me. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- ""Free Music 3- the biggest smash hit in the last 10 years"". Alkwakeb Magazine 233 (مجلة الكواكب).
- "Guess Who Will Replace Sherine in the Voice Season". Standard Republic. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "حسام حبيب". Mawaly.com. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Egyptian singer Sherine banned for 'mocking' River Nile". BBC.
- "Sherine banned for Mocking The Nile River". The Egypt Independent.