Gay-Dagnogo with Brian Banks
|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives|
from the 8th district
January 1, 2015 – December 31, 2018
|Preceded by||David Nathan|
January 30, 1967|
|Alma mater||Wayne State University|
|Website||Official House Website|
Sherry Gay-Dagnogo (born January 30, 1967) is a Democratic member of the Michigan House of Representatives, representing the 8th District since 2014. The 8th House District includes portions of Northwest Detroit, including the Bethune, Brightmoor, Castle Rouge, College Park, and Grandmont-Rosedale communities. During her tenure in the Michigan House, Gay-Dagnogo has served on the Families, Children, and Seniors, Financial Services and Insurance committees.
Gay-Dagnogo is the mother of one son, Jordan, and a current resident and former V.P. of North Rosedale Park Civic Association, where she remains actively engaged.
Gay-Dagnogo attended Oakland Community College in 2002. From 2001-2004, she attended Wayne State University, receiving her Bachelor of Science and Master in Education in Instructional Technology.
From November 1993 - January 2002, Gay-Dagnogo worked as the Legislative Assistant & Training Manager for Cleveland Councilman Clyde Cleveland.
From 1993 to 2002, she worked for the City of Detroit, managing technology training for City Council employees.
In 2004, Gay-Dagnogo began teaching, as a Science Teacher at Detroit Edison Public Schools Academy where she taught seventh and eighth grade Science until October 2010. From October 2010 till January 2012, Gay-Dagnogo worked for the United Way of SE Michigan, as the Director of Educational Performance.
She currently works as a political campaign manager, having most recently run the Detroit "Proposal S" bond referendum.
As of 2018, Gay-Dagnogo has not sponsored a bill that has been signed into law.
Incumbent State Rep. David Nathan defeated Gay-Dagnogo in the 2012 House District 8 Primary Election. She received 34 percent of the vote in her unsuccessful bid.
Gay-Dagnogo won a competitive 2014 Democratic Primary, defeating five other candidates with 45 percent of the vote. Gay-Dagnogo defeated Christopher Ewald in the General Election.
Gay-Dagnogo ran unopposed in the 2016 House District 8 Democratic primary. She defeated Jennifer Rynicki in the General Election.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2017)
- "Bio". Michigan House Democrats.
- "MIRS Biographical". MIRS.
- "Resume". LinkedIn.
- "Bills by Sponsor". Michigan Legislature.
- "Election Summary Report Primary Election - August 7th, 2012". Michigan Department of State. August 7, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- "Election Summary Report Primary Election - August 5th, 2014". Michigan Department of State. August 5, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- "Election Summary Report Primary Election - November 4th, 2014". Michigan Department of State. November 4, 2014. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- "Election Summary Report Primary Election - November 8th, 2016". Michigan Department of State. November 8, 2016. Retrieved December 1, 2017.