Sherry L. Ackerman
In 2008, Ackerman published Behind the Looking Glass, offering another perspective in the contemporary deconstruction of the "Carroll Myth". The book offers a thorough examination of the nineteenth century Neoplatonic Revival in Great Britain, with special emphasis upon its influence on the writings of Lewis Carroll: conciliatory points between revived Neoplatonism, theosophy and spiritualism are identified. Ackerman is affiliated with ContrariWise: The Association for New Lewis Carroll Studies. Dodgson biographer Morton N. Cohen, in a recent article in the Times Literary Supplement labeled their position as 'revisionists' who were attempting to rewrite history.
Ackerman is also a proponent of eco-spirituality and nature mysticism. In 2008, she published a second edition of Dressage in the Fourth Dimension. This book posits that humanity’s alienation from Nature can no longer be ignored. Ackerman claims that the enormity and immediacy of the crisis is evident. Ackerman carries this claim further in The Good Life, published in 2010.
Ackerman credits Herbert Marcuse for the realization that she could be both an academic—a scholar—and a social catalyst—an activist.
- Piaffe Flyer, Issue January '07, by Lucy Maynard. http://www.enydcta.doityourselfsitebuilder.com/f/SherryProfile.pdf
- "International Society for Neoplatonic Studies". Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- "Ackerman, Sherry L. - Scholars Directory". Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- The World Soul and the Soul of the World: Philosophy, Cosmos, and Culture at the Fifteenth Annual Conference on Global and Multicultural Dimensions of Ancient and Medieval Philosophy and Social Thought; Binghamton University, Binghamton, New York, October 26, 1996; http://cosmopolis.com/inst/index.html
- (ISBN 978-1847184863)
- "Contrariwise". Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Cohen, Morton N. (October 2003). "When Love was Young". Times Literary Supplement.
- Yoga for Equestrians: A New Path for Achieving Union with your Horse, by Linda Benedict and Veronica Wirth, Trafalgar Square Books, 2000.
- Philosophy in Practice: Dressage in the Fourth Dimension. Fifth International Conference on Philosophy in Practice; Wadham College, Oxford. June 10–11, 1999.
- (ISBN 978-1577316237)
- (ISBN 978-0-9846032-0-6)
- Sherry Ackerman's website
- "The Carroll Myth"
- Behind the Looking Glass
- Dressage in the Fourth Dimension
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|