Sherwood Country Club
Sherwood Country Club is a private, member owned golf and country club in Lake Sherwood, California set at the base of the Santa Monica Mountains just south of city of Thousand Oaks. Sherwood is home to a championship 18-hole Jack Nicklaus signature golf course, driving range and Georgian architecture golf clubhouse. Adjacent to the golf club is the tennis clubhouse, swimming pool, gymnasium, fitness facility and spa. There are a total of 12 tennis courts, including 8 hard courts (one with stadium seating), two clay courts and two grass courts. The courts are lit for night play.
Sherwood was the host of a multiple off-season events. It hosted the Shark Shootout, a team-play event hosted by Australian great Greg Norman, from the event's inception in 1989 to 1999. It then hosted the World Challenge, a PGA Tour-recognized golf tournament hosted by Tiger Woods each December, from 2000 to 2013.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2008)
Lake Sherwood, originally Potrero Lake, is the oldest man-made lake in California. It was built in 1904 and is approximately 165 acres (0.67 km2). It was changed to Lake Sherwood when the surrounding areas, used for the filming of "Robin Hood" starring Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., in 1921, became known as "Sherwood Forest" and "Maid Marian Park."
A number of movies and TV-series have been shot here, including scenes for The Mentalist and Birth of a Nation. The engagement party in the film Bridesmaids (2011) was also filmed at Sherwood Country Club.
Sherwood Country Club Presidents:
- 1989-2007 David H. Murdock (developer)
- 2007-2008 Peter Wagner
- 2008-2009 Stephen Smith
- 2009-2010 James Jackoway
- 2010-2011 Daniel Selleck
- 2011-2012 George Carney, Jr.
- 2012-2013 Hal Katersky
- 2013-2014 Matthew P. Stapleton
- 2014-2015 Michael P. Miller
Sherwood's membership is approximately 375 golf members/owners and is by invitation or member referral. The adjacent tennis club has fourteen courts in hard, clay and grass surfaces, a swimming pool, gymnasium, fitness center, dining room and pub, men's and ladies' locker rooms and a full-service spa. The tennis club maintains a membership of approximately 175 members.
Notable members of the club have included Sean Connery, Kenny G, Mel Gibson, Caitlyn Jenner, Wayne Gretzky, Scott Hamilton, Kevin James, Tom Kelly, Angelo Mozilo, Craig T. Nelson, Jack Nicholson, Joe Pesci, Tom Selleck, Jane Seymour, O. J. Simpson, Will Smith, Kevin Sorbo, Sylvester Stallone, and Justin Timberlake.
In 2009, Sherwood underwent a major bunker restoration using a new drainage system called Sportscrete.
Sherwood Golf Course has several protected areas, including an oak savanna. Two other protected areas are believed to have populations of endangered sunflower, Lyon’s Pentachaeta (Pentachaeta lyonii).
- Prime-Time Golf Shootout Is a Ratings Success, Associated Press via Los Angeles Times, August 4, 1999.
- "Sherwood CC to host Powershares QQQ Championship". PGA Tour. January 14, 2016.
- "Television & Movie Location - Sherwood Country Club". www.sherwoodcc.com.
- "Conejo Valley is a Hot Spot for Filming Movies". 13 June 2017.
- Wilson, Kathleen (December 13, 2012). "Sherwood Country Club's weddings at odds with Ventura County rules". Ventura County Star. Retrieved 17 January 2018.
- Monday, Glenn (March 2012). "Tales from the 19th Hole - Sylvester Stallone". Southland Golf Magazine.
- Baum, Gary (23 June 2011). "L.A.'s Power Golf Clubs: Where the Hollywood Elite Play". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Course Record - Sherwood Country Club". www.sherwoodcc.com.
- LACEY, MARC (January 18, 1991). "Stemming the Tide : Endangered Plant Has Knack of Blocking Construction". LA Times. Retrieved 17 January 2018.