24 September 1965
|Spouse(s)||Colin Kyle (1986 – ?)
Paul Gascoigne (1996–1998)
|Children||3 (inc. Bianca Gascoigne)|
Sheryl Gascoigne (née Failes; born 24 September 1965) is a British television personality and author. She is the former wife of footballer Paul Gascoigne and the mother of glamour model Bianca Gascoigne. Her television career includes a presenting role on ITV1's Loose Women, and she appeared as a contestant on the tenth series of the UK version of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
Life and career
Sheryl Gascoigne rose to prominence because of her high-profile relationship, and later marriage, to footballer Paul Gascoigne. Having met in around 1990, they were married in Hatfield, Hertfordshire in July 1996. However, the marriage was a turbulent and ultimately short-lived one, ending in divorce in August 1998. Paul had experienced difficulties with alcoholism and had been abusive towards his wife. In a July 1994 interview with a Sunday newspaper Paul Gascoigne admitted beating Sheryl on a regular basis for two years. The couple later tried to reconcile but without success.
Following her divorce in 1998 Sheryl Gascoigne campaigned for victims of domestic violence, and became a television personality. Among her credits include presenting role on ITV1's Loose Women and appearances in numerous television documentaries. In 2010 she appeared on series ten of I'm a Celebrity Get...Me Out of Here! Having turned down an offer to appear on the programme earlier in the year, she was persuaded to join after one of the other contestants, Gail Porter was forced to drop out, and she was allegedly offered a higher fee to take part. She was the first contestant to be voted off after 13 days.
In 2009 she published a book, Stronger: My Life Surviving Gazza, an autobiographical account of her marriage to Gascoigne in which she made claims about his violent behaviour towards her. She later said she wrote the book in response to accounts her former husband had published about their life together. The News of the World later featured a story under the title "You Lying Bitch!" giving Paul Gascoigne's reaction to the book. Sheryl Gascoigne subsequently sued the newspaper for libel and was awarded an undisclosed amount of compensation in at the High Court in May 2010. In November 2011 she gave evidence to the Leveson Inquiry, established to examine the activities of the media following the News International phone hacking scandal. She told the inquiry she had been portrayed as a gold-digger by the press, but that her ex-husband's advisers had urged her not to take legal action. She said the media had "constantly" followed her while she was pregnant and that on another occasion she had been forced to crawl around her house on her "hands and knees" to avoid press taking photographs of her through the windows. She said her children also found the media interest difficult.
She has two children, Bianca and Mason, from her marriage to Colin Kyle, and a son, Regan, from her marriage to Paul Gascoigne. He adopted Sheryl's two children from her first marriage, and they took his surname. They have claimed that he beat them as well. Bianca appeared on reality TV show Love Island and Celebrity Big Brother.
- "Researcha". Web.researcha.com. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "I'm A Celebrity 2010: Profile of Sheryl Gascoigne". Unreality TV. 2010-11-10. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Matches of the Day: How footballing marriages of yesterday compare to Coleen and Wayne's lavish nuptials". London Evening Standard. Evening Standard Ltd. 12 June 2008. Retrieved 11 February 2012.
- "UK | Shazza sheds Gazza". BBC News. 1998-08-25. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "UK | Sheryl tipped for 'quickie' divorce from Gazza". BBC News. 1998-08-12. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "HEALTH | Domestic violence 'not recognised'". BBC News. 1999-11-25. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Sheryl Gascoigne profile by the Sun writer who knows her best | The Sun | Features". The Sun. 2009-02-28. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "I couldn't tell Paul Gascoigne I was going into the jungle, reveals ex-wife Sheryl". The Daily Record. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- "Sheryl Gascoigne in News of the World libel win". BBC News. 2010-05-07. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Peter Hunt (2011-02-14). "Leveson Inquiry: Mark Lewis says hacking wider than NoW". BBC News. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Robinson, James (2011-01-25). "Leveson inquiry: Sheryl Gascoigne 'crawled to avoid paparazzi' | Media | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. Retrieved 2011-11-23.
- Profile: Paul Gascoigne, The Guardian, 24 February 2008
- "Gazza Mad With Bianca — Sky Showbiz". Showbiz.sky.com. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Paul Gascoigne's girl gripe (TV|Celebrity Love Island)". The Sun. London. 7 August 2006. Retrieved 21 July 2009.
- "Celebrity Big Brother 2017 star Bianca Gascoigne – 7 things you didn't know". The Sun. 2017-01-12. Retrieved 2017-02-01.