Sheryl H. Lipman
|Sheryl Halle Lipman|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee|
May 1, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Jon Phipps McCalla|
|Born||1963 (age 53–54)
|Education||University of Michigan B.A.
New York University School of Law J.D.
Sheryl H. Lipman (born 1963) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee and former University Counsel to the University of Memphis.
Lipman received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1984 from the University of Michigan. She received a Juris Doctor in 1987 from the New York University School of Law. She served as a law clerk to Judge Julia S. Gibbons of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee from 1987 to 1988. From 1988 to 1991, she worked at the law firm of Reed Smith, focusing on white-collar criminal defense work. From 1991 to 1995, she worked at Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs LLP, focusing on civil litigation. From 1996 to 1997, she served as Vice President of Comprehensive Services at the Memphis Race Relations & Diversity Institute. She worked at Burch, Porter & Johnson, PLLC, practicing civil litigation from 1997 to 1999. From 1999 until 2014 she worked at the University of Memphis, joining as Senior Attorney in 1999 and becoming University Counsel in 2002. In this capacity, she was responsible for the legal interests of the University, serving as its primary in-house counsel on all major litigation and provides regulatory advice on a wide variety of issues.
Federal judicial service
On August 1, 2013, President Obama nominated Lipman to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee, to the seat being vacated by Judge Jon Phipps McCalla, who is taking senior status on August 23, 2013. On January 16, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee. On April 11, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Reid filed a motion to invoke cloture on the nomination. On April 29, 2014, a vote on the motion to invoke cloture on the nomination was agreed to by a vote of 58-49. On April 30, 2014 the nomination was confirmed by a final vote of 95-0. Lipman received her judicial commission on May 1, 2014, and took the oath of office on August 15, 2014.
- "President Obama Nominates Six to Serve on the United States District Courts". 1 August 2013.
- "Lipman, Sheryl Halle - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 111. United States Senate. Retrieved 29 April 2014.
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 118. United States Senate. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Gray, Cathy. "News Release: Investiture of Judge Sheryl H. Lipman as United States District Judge" (PDF). U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
Jon Phipps McCalla
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee