|Member of Parliament
for South East Cornwall
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Colin Breed|
4 February 1956 |
Millbrook, Cornwall, England
|Spouse(s)||Neil Murray (deceased);
|Residence||Millbrook, near Torpoint|
Sheryll Murray (born 4 February 1956, Millbrook, Cornwall, United Kingdom) is a Conservative Party politician. She has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for South East Cornwall at Westminster since the 2010 General Election.
Born Sheryll Hickman at Millbrook, Cornwall, to Cornish parents, her mother's family lived at Millbrook and her father's family originated from Calstock. She attended Millbrook Primary and Torpoint Comprehensive Schools, before embarking on a career in the insurance industry. She served as a Governor of Torpoint School for nine years until 2008, before standing down to concentrate on campaigning for the forthcoming general election.
Murray previously represented Rame as a Cornwall County Councillor and served as Leader of the Conservative Group on Caradon District Council, when a Councillor for Millbrook, prior to her election to Parliament.
Murray was selected to contest South East Cornwall in 2010 and won the seat with a majority of 3,220 and a 9% swing from the Liberal Democrats to the Conservatives. Murray is the constituency's first ever female MP. In July 2010 Murray opened her constituency office at Liskeard.
Also in May 2012, she came 12th in the private member's bill ballot. Her Bill, the Marine Navigation (No.2) Bill received Royal Assent as the Marine Navigation Act 2013 in April 2013. In May 2013, she came 4th in the ballot, and introduced a Bill which received Royal Assent as the Deep Sea Mining Act 2014 in May 2014.
She currently serves on the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee in the House of Commons.
Murray has two children, Sally and Andrew, by her late husband, Cornish trawlerman Neil Murray, who died in a fishing accident on 24 March 2011. Neil did not return from a solo fishing trip from Looe on the evening of 24 March. The search by local fishermen and the emergency services eventually discovered his body on board his boat Our Boy Andrew.
- http://www.savebritfish.org.uk[dead link]
- "Result of the Private Members' Bill ballot: Session 2012–13". Parliament of the United Kingdom. 17 May 2012.
- "Deep Sea Mining Bill: Session 2013–14". Parliament of the United Kingdom. 19 June 2013.
- "MP's husband, Neil Murray, dies in fishing accident over night". The Plymouth Herald. 25 March 2011.
- "Neil Murray husband of Cornwall MP dies on fishing trip". BBC News Online (BBC). 25 March 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Official website
- Sheryll Murray MP profile at the site of Conservatives
- Debrett's People of Today
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for South East Cornwall