|Country of origin||Scotland|
The Shetland is a small, hardy breed; it is active and forages well. It is essentially a smaller version of the Swedish Blue, but with black plumage where the Swedish has blue;:457:489 the black has glossy green and blue lights in it. The birds usually have a white bib, and may have some white on the head; they may become paler as they age, in some cases turning almost entirely white. The bill and legs are black in the duck: in the drake, the legs may carry some orange, and the bill may be tinged with yellow.
The Shetland is a good layer; the eggs are of a good size and range in colour from white to grey.
- Barbara Rischkowsky, D. Pilling (eds.) (2007). List of breeds documented in the Global Databank for Animal Genetic Resources, annex to The State of the World's Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. ISBN 9789251057629. Accessed January 2017.
- Breed data sheet: Russkii Tyazhelovoz / Russian Federation (Horse). Domestic Animal Diversity Information System of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Accessed January 2020.
- Liste des races et variétés homologuée dans les pays EE (28.04.2013). Entente Européenne d’Aviculture et de Cuniculture. Archived 16 June 2013.
- Ducks. Poultry Club of Great Britain. Archived 9 November 2018.
- "Shetland - Duck breed" Britannic Rare Breeds. Retrieved 2014-3-25.
- "Shetland duck". 2011-12-03.
- "The Shetland Duck". Raising Ducks. 2019-04-18.
- "Knowledge base".
- Shetland. Rare Breeds Survival Trust. Accessed January 2020.
- Victoria Roberts (2008). British Poultry Standards: complete specifications and judging points of all standardized breeds and varieties of poultry as compiled by the specialist breed clubs and recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain, sixth edition. Oxford: Blackwell. ISBN 9781405156424.
- J. Ian H. Allonby, Philippe B. Wilson (editors) (2018). British Poultry Standards: complete specifications and judging points of all standardized breeds and varieties of poultry as compiled by the specialist breed clubs and recognised by the Poultry Club of Great Britain, seventh edition. Chichester; Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley Blackwell. ISBN 9781119509141.