Shi Xing Mi
Shi Xing Mi
Shi Xing Mi (Walter Gjergja) is a Shaolin secular monk of the 32nd generation, speaker and writer.
Early martial arts practice
Walter Gjergja started studying Shaolin Kung Fu in his early teens in Italy and France, winning numerous international competitions in both forms (traditional Kung Fu and modern WuShu) and fighting (Sanda and Qingda/Quingda), initially in Europe (late 1980s) and later in Asia (early 1990s).
Further studies and work
He then moved to Australia where from 1992 he attended Melbourne La Trobe University; he graduated in 1996 with a double major degree and, in parallel to his studies and then to a rapid career in management and consulting, traveled numerous times to the Shaolin monastery where he learned Shaolin culture in its entirety (Chan - philosophy, Wu - martial arts and physical training, Yi - health practices), specialising in philosophy and in several Shaolin martial arts such as Xiao Hong Quan, Da Hong Quan, Qi Xing Quan, Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, Rou Quan and others. He was eventually accepted as a 32nd generation Shaolin disciple with the monastic name Shi Xing Mi. The official discipleship ceremony was held in Shaolin Temple and presided by his master, Shaolin Grand Master Shi De Yang.
In 2002 Shi Xing Mi returned to Italy and decided to teach full-time in Europe and Asia, subsequently appearing in television documentaries (BBC, Discovery Channel, Disney XD, Italia1, CCTV, Wild and the 2nd episode of the popular martial arts show "Kill Arman"), numerous press articles (Men's Health, Outside Magazine, Sportweek, Die Zeit, Kung Fu Magazine, For Men, Handelsblatt, Corriere Della Sera, Frankfurt Allgemeine, Budo, etc.), demonstrations and major events.
In 2004 he founded in Milan the first Italian Shaolin culture center, Shaolin Wuseng Houbeidui Italy, today with several branches in Italy and Switzerland. Over the years he has taught in more than thirty countries and has also been appointed to several official roles for the development of international Shaolin cultural projects, such as Shaolin Cultural Director for FIWUK (Federazione Italiana WuShu KungFu) and Shaolin Master member of SEA (Shaolin Europe Association).
Since 2008 he has also utilised his cultural and professional background to apply Shaolin principles and methods to diversified contexts such as human development, business management and sports performance, conducting keynote speeches, seminars and workshops at various international conferences (TEDx, FIBO, Trainertage, etc.) and for companies such as BMW, Bayer, Postbank, Red Bull, Siltronic, UBS, Kempinski, Merck, Technogym, Sberbank, Cheil, DWP Bank, Jaguar, Publicis and many more, as well as coaching professional sports people in football, tennis, winter sports and combat sports. In 2012 he published his first book, titled 'Shaolin: a journey', followed in 2014 by a philosophy and self-development book co-authored with a German trainer and writer titled 'Gib Nicht Alles, Gib Das Richtige' and subsequently translated in other languages as 'The Shaolin strategy'.
In 2017 he published a new book, co-authored with a Swiss corporate trainer and coach, titled 'Shaoness'.
Shi Xing Mi (Walter Gjergja) lives in a village in Ticino, Switzerland, and teaches mostly in Europe and Asia.
- Shaolin masters' biography pages, Italy. http://www.culturashaolin.it
- Book 'Shaolin: a journey', published in 2012.
- Authors presentation by Italian publishers. https://www.macrolibrarsi.it/autori/_shi-xing-mi.php
- Skolkovo University. http://sk.ru/news/b/articles/archive/2016/06/10/tips-for-startups-from-a-shaolin-monk.aspx
- Shaolin press book pages, Italy. http://www.shaolin-wushu.it/press.htm
- Kung Fu Magazine Shaolin Specials, USA 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2009 - 2011.
- Shaolin Europe Association members page. http://www.shaolin-europe.org
- Official website. http://www.shaolinshixingmi.com
- Frankfurter Allgemeine newspaper, Germany 05/2010.
- Die Zeit newspaper, Germany 10/2014.
- Shaolin news pages, Italy. http://www.shaolin-wushu.it/news.htm
- Random House Group. http://www.randomhouse.de/catalog/catalog.jsp?men=1500&lbl=51000
- Alpina Russia.https://www.alpinabook.ru/catalog/GeneralManagment/337884/
- Mondadori Electa. http://www.electa.it/en/product/shaoness/