Shia Islam in the Americas
Around the world are living over 200 million Shia Muslims, who make up 20% of all Muslims . Nearly 786,000 Shia Muslims situated on United States. American Shia Muslim community are from different part of the world such as South Asia, Europe, Middle East, and East Africa. They have many activities and founded several organization such as Islamic Center of America and North American Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Communities Organization (NASIMCO).
- 1 Shia Muslims population
- 2 Shia related organizations
- 3 See also
- 4 References
Shia Muslims population
Brazil, a vast South American country, has approximately one million Shia Muslims from the time of the Ottoman Empire. Many Lebanese emigrants to Brazil resulted in an increase Shia beliefs. In Brazil, Shia Muslims generally live in an area known as Curitiba. They have many activities and have established several Islamic centers and institutes for the propagation of Shia beliefs and the message of Ahl al-Bayt. For this reason, there are several related places for Shia Muslims in Sao Paulo, such as the Prophet of Allah Muhammad mosque and the Imam Khomeini Islamic Center. Also, Shias have one mosque, Imam Ali mosque, where Shia and Sunni may pray together. In recent years, Shia and Sunni scholars have had several meetings with each other. Many Shia's books are translated into Portuguese such as Nahjul Balagha.
Islamic Center of America
Islamic Center of America is a Shia mosque in Dearborn, Michigan. Also, It is the oldest Shia mosque in the United States and the largest in North America. The institution known as "heart of Shiism" in the United States.
North American Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Communities
North American Shia Ithna-Asheri Muslim Communities (NASIMCO) is a religious-cultural organization for Shia followers in the North of America. Islamic education board of the NASIMCO have investigated and standardized Shia books and also published several references in Shia history and theology.
Council of Shia Muslim Scholars
The Council of Shia Muslim Scholars was founded in North America in 1994 and is known as the central organization for Shia followers.
Al Baqee Organization
Al Baqee Organization is registered in 2003 in Illinois and is known as the central organization for leading initiatives and activism on the preservation and restoration of Islamic heritage globally.
Muslim Congress is charitable non-profit organization in accordance with section 501 (c)(3) of the IRS tax code. It seeks to promote unity among the Muslims of North America. Our goal is to excel and enhance the Muslim cause so that the Muslims become proud over their Islamic identity, well-informed and successful citizens while retaining the values of the pure Muhammadan (sawa) Islam-the only true Islam. www.muslimcongress.org
Several organizations and institutions are active in the Americas, including:
- "World Shia Muslims Population". shianumbers.com. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- Zahid Hussain Bukhari (1 January 2004). Muslims' Place in the American Public Square: Hope, Fears, and Aspirations. Rowman Altamira. p. 37. ISBN 978-0-7591-0613-0.
- Daniel Brumberg; Dina Shehata (2009). Conflict, Identity, and Reform in the Muslim World: Challenges for U.S. Engagement. US Institute of Peace Press. pp. 366–370. ISBN 978-1-60127-020-7.
- "Mapping the Global Muslim Population". pewforum.org. 7 October 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- Mohsen Saleh (1 January 2009). American Foreign Policy and the Muslim World. Al Manhal. p. 179. ISBN 978-9953-500-65-2.
- "Shia Muslims Around the World". imamreza.net. Archived from the original on 22 May 2009. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- The Doha Debates: Bio for Imam Sayid Hassan Al-Qazwini Archived 2015-06-19 at the Wayback Machine retrieved February 12, 2012
- New Dearborn mosque to be the nation's largest. Michigan Daily, January 7, 2004. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
- Islam's US faithful are happy to embrace the American dream, Daily Telegraph, July 23, 2005. Retrieved February 16, 2009.
- Victoria Advocate: "American Shias struggle with their future" July 25, 2009
- Daily Telegraph: "Islam's US faithful are happy to embrace the American dream July 23, 2005
- Mohamed Nimer (January 2002). The North American Muslim Resource Guide: Muslim Community Life in the United States and Canada. Taylor & Francis. p. 18. ISBN 978-0-415-93728-3.
- "About Baqee Organization".
- "List of Shia Organizations in the Americas".