Shiamak Davar in 2010
|Born||19 October 1961|
|Years active||1996 - present|
Shiamak Davar (born 19 October 1961) is an Indian choreographer, noted as one of the first to bring contemporary jazz and western forms of dance to India. He is known as the guru of contemporary dance in India. He is responsible for modernizing India’s dance scene especially in the film and theatre industries. He is respected for his ever-evolving and very popular "Shiamak Style" of dance. He was the director of choreography for the Commonwealth Games, Melbourne and Commonwealth Games, Delhi. In 2011 he choreographed the dance sequences for the movie Mission Impossible 4.
Davar has choreographed Indian actors and celebrities for film and stage for events like the IIFA Awards and the Filmfare Awards. Bollywood actors Shahid Kapoor, Varun Dhawan and Sushant Singh Rajput were members of the Shiamak Davar Dance Company. Upcoming Indian actors Ruslan Mumtaz, Shubh and child actor Darsheel Safary were also a part of the Shiamak Davar Dance Company.
Davar won the 1997 National Film Award for Best Choreography for his work in the film Dil to Pagal Hai, as well as the Lycra (R) MTV Style Awards 2007 for 'Most Stylish Song in a Film', for "Dhoom Again" in the Indian film Dhoom 2. In July 2011, Davar received an honorary doctorate from Middlesex University in recognition of his contribution to entertainment in India and throughout the world.
Davar began his career in choreography for Hindi cinema with the film Dil To Pagal Hai, for which he won the president's National Award. Having changed the way dance was perceived in Indian films, Davar went on to choreograph for Hindi films such as Taal, Kisna, Bunty Aur Babli, Dhoom 2, I See You, Taare Zameen Par, Yuvvraaj, Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi and Jagga Jasoos.
Shiamak has shared the stage with artists such as Sting, Bryan Adams and Eddie Grant. He acted and choreographed in the movie Little Ziziou. He released a hit pop album, Shabop, for which he composed and sang songs with other Indian artists such as Shankar Mahadevan, Hariharan and Shweta Pandit as well as songs mixed and assorted by DJ Aqeel.
Shiamak has been the performance and entertainment designer for shows such as the Sahara Sangeet Awards, the Shiamak Davar China Tou', the Seventh Cairo International Song Festival, IIFA Awards, Shiamak: The Spirit of Song and Dance South Africa, I Believe — A Shiamak Davar Spectacular and The Unforgettable World Tour.
Shiamak has directed, designed and performed at global events like the 2006 Commonwealth Games closing ceremony, the 2010 Commonwealth Games closing ceremony, the World Economic Forum, Davos (2006) and entertained leaders including Bill Clinton who said, "the world must see you".
Davar has been associated with choreographing the International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA) for over a decade. At the IIFA in Tampa Bay, Florida in 2014, Davar choreographed Hollywood stars John Travolta and Kevin Spacey. His choreography for Hrihtik Roshan made Travolta look surprised and his jaw was hanging open. Travolta stated "He’s really brilliant as a dancer. And I’m most impressed by Shiamak Davar’s team. They’re as good as any of the dancers at the Tonys. That was actually a performance worth watching. Two thumbs up from me".
As a philanthropist, he runs the VAF (Victory Arts Foundation) that teaches dance to underprivileged children and children with mental and physical disabilities to help them experience the pleasure of expression through "dance as therapy".
- Shiamak Davar, The Times of India, 10 December 2002
- A Slice of India at C'wealth Games, The Times of India, 16 March 2006
- Shiamak Davar's mover and shaker, by Bella Jaisinghani The Times of India, 20 July 2008
- Style Award Winners – 2007, Lycra(R) MTV Style Awards Winners List
- Diksha Kamra. "SRK's shouting was a gift: Shiamak". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Shiamak Davar". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Shiamak - The Spirit of Song and Dance. Videovision Entertainment. 8 July 2005
- I Believe, Aditya Birla Group
- Shiamak Davar Returns with I Believe Buzz18.com. CNN-IBN. 12 November 2007
- Unforgettable World Tour, Bollywood World.com IANS 16 August 2008
- Meet Shiamak Davar, The Globe and Mail, Jun. 15 2011, 4:23 PM EDT Last updated Friday, Aug. 24 2012, 3:54 PM EDT
- Shiamak Davar Dance Company Starts Classes in NYC WSJ by Aarti Virani
- "From Kevin Spacey to Hrithik Roshan: Six memorable IIFA moments". Firstpost.com. Retrieved 2017-03-16.
- Shiamak Davar's Homepage
- Shiamak Davar on IMDb
- Natalie Clancy. "Shiamak Davar, Bollywood star, sued for alleged sexual assault of B.C. dancers in sect - British Columbia - CBC News". Cbc.ca. Retrieved 2017-03-16.