Shield of Straw
|Shield of Straw|
|Directed by||Takashi Miike|
|Produced by||Naoaki Kitajima|
|Written by||Tamio Hayashi|
|Based on||Wara no Tate|
by Kazuhiro Kiuchi
|Music by||Kôji Endô|
|Edited by||Kenji Yamashita|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. (Japan)|
Shield of Straw (Japanese: 藁の楯 Hepburn: Wara no Tate) is a 2013 Filipino-Japanese political spy thriller film directed by Takashi Miike. It was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival and it was released on April 26, 2013.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (January 2018)
Ninagawa was a powerful man in Japanese politics and with top economic connections. His granddaughter is then murdered. The suspect is Kunihide Kiyomaru (Tatsuya Fujiwara). Three months after the murder of his granddaughter, Ninagawa places a whole page ad in the 3 big Japanese newspapers. The ad then states that if Kiyomaru was executed, Ninagawa will offer 1,000,000,000 as a reward. Kunihide Kiyomaru turns himself in at the Fukuoka Prefectural Police Station. Five detectives from the security section (SP) of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department travel to Fukuoka to escort Kunihide Kiyomaru back to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department. The distance between Fukuoka and Tokyo is apprixmately 1,200 km.
- Takao Osawa - Kazuki Mekari
- Nanako Matsushima - Atsuko Shiraiwa
- Tatsuya Fujiwara - Kunihide Kiyomaru
- Masatō Ibu - Kenji Sekiya
- Kento Nagayama - Masaki Kamihashi
- Kimiko Yo - Chikako Yuri
- Tsutomu Yamazaki - Ninagawa
On 24 October 2016, it was announced that Europacorp is planning an English-language remake to be penned by Creighton Rothenberger and Katrin Benedikt and produced by Depth of Field's Chris Weitz, Andrew Miano and Dan Balgoyen and All Nippon Entertainment Works's Sanford Climan and Annmarie Bailey, and Nippon Television's Naoaki Kitajima.
- "Miike Casts Jin's Osawa, Ring's Matsushima, Death Note's Fujiwara". Anime News Network. 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Schilling, Mark (2012-08-01). "Japanese helmer Miike sets up 'Shield'". Variety.com. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- N'Duka, Amanda (24 October 2016). "EuropaCorp Boards English-Language Remake of Japanese Thriller 'Shield of Straw'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- McNary, Dave (24 October 2016). "'Shield of Straw' Remake in the Works With Backing From Luc Besson, Weitz Brothers". Variety. Retrieved 21 May 2018.
- McNary, Dave (2015-08-25). "'Shield of Straw' English-Language Remake in the Works With Chris Weitz". Variety. Retrieved 2017-01-28.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shield of Straw.|
|This article related to a Japanese film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|