Shigeo Kurata (倉田 重夫 Kurata Shigeo?) is a Japanese botanist and Nepenthes taxonomist whose work in the 1960s and 1970s contributed much to the current popularity of these plants. His best-known work is the 1976 guide Nepenthes of Mount Kinabalu. Nepenthes kurata was named in his honour.
Kurata has described a number of new Nepenthes species, including N. campanulata, N. eymae, N. mindanaoensis, N. peltata, N. rhombicaulis, and N. saranganiensis. He also described N. pyriformis, which was subsequently recognised as a natural hybrid by Charles Clarke. Other natural hybrids named by Kurata include N. × ferrugineomarginata, N. × kinabaluensis, and N. × kuchingensis.
- Clarke, C.M. & C.C. Lee 2004. Pitcher Plants of Sarawak. Natural History Publications (Borneo), Kota Kinabalu.
- Cheek, M. & M. Jebb 2013. Recircumscription of the Nepenthes alata group (Caryophyllales: Nepenthaceae), in the Philippines, with four new species. European Journal of Taxonomy 69: 1–23. doi:10.5852/ejt.2013.69
- Kurata, S. 1976. Nepenthes of Mount Kinabalu. Sabah National Parks Publications No. 2, Sabah National Parks Trustees, Kota Kinabalu.
- Kurata, S. 1973. Nepenthes from Borneo, Singapore and Sumatra. Gardens' Bulletin Singapore 26(2): 227–232.
- Kurata, S. 1984. Journal of the Insectivorous Plant Society (Japan) 35: 41.
- Kurata, S. 2001. Two new species of Nepenthes from Sumatra (Indonesia) and Mindanao (Philippines). Journal of the Insectivorous Plant Society (Japan) 52(2): 30–34.
- Kurata, S. 2008. Nepenthes peltata (Nepenthaceae), a new species of pitcher plant from the Philippines. Journal of the Insectivorous Plant Society (Japan) 59(1): 12–17.
- Kurata, S. 2003. A new Philippine pitcher plant, the third species having a saddle-shaped stem. Journal of the Insectivorous Plant Society (Japan) 54(2): 41–44.
- Clarke, C.M. 2001. Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia. Natural History Publications (Borneo), Kota Kinabalu.
- IPNI. Sh.Kurata.
|This article about a Japanese botanist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|