Shih Hsin University
Shih Hsin University
Motto in English
|Master virtue and wisdom through practicality |
|Chairman||成嘉玲 (Jialing Cheng)|
|President||Joe Y. C. Wu|
|Shih Hsin University|
Shih Hsin University (SHU; Chinese: 世新大學) founded in Beiping in 1932, is a private university in Wenshan District, Taipei, Taiwan. Shih Hsin University's College of Journalism and Communications is the oldest and most prestigious in ROC. Shih Hsin University is a member of U9 League. Shih Hsin University's journalism, information technology and broadcasting scholars were hosting and recipients of Fulbright Program. Outstanding students of Graduate Institute of Intellectual Property Rights have participated intensive summer program in Japan. 
Shih Hsin University was re-established in Taiwan in 1956 as Shih Hsin School of Journalism by the journalists and publishers Cheng Shewo and Yeh Ming-hsun. Originally an institution devoted to training professional journalists, the school became a full-fledged university in August 1997. Now with four colleges, including the College of Journalism and Communication, the School of Management, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, and the School of Law, and with an enrollment of around 10,000 students.
In Chinese, Shih means "the World", and Hsin means "New" or "News".
Schools and programs
Within four colleges, Shih Hsin University currently has 19 departments and 3 graduate institutes, 19 offer bachelor's degrees, 17 offer master's degrees, and 3 offer PhD degrees.
- College of Journalism and Communication
- Communications (PhD)
- Journalism (BA, MA)
- Radio, TV & Film (BA, MA)
- PR & Advertising (BA, MA)
- Graphic Communication (BA, MA)
- Speech Communication (BA, MA)
- Information Communication (BA, MA)
- Digital Multimedia Arts (BA, MA)
- Communication Management (BA, MA)
- College of Management
- Information Management (BA, MA)
- Tourism (BA, MA)
- Finance (BA, MA)
- Public Policy and Management (BA, MA, PhD)
- Business Management (BA, MA)
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Economics (BA, MA)
- Graduate Institute for Social Transformation (MA)
- Graduate Institute for Gender Studies (MA)
- Social Psychology (BA, MA)
- English (BA, MA)
- Chinese Literature (BA, MA, PhD)
- Japanese (BA)
- College of Law
- Graduate Institute for Intellectual Property Rights (BA, MA)
- Law (BA, MA)
Shih Hsin University's notable Sister Schools include but not limited to Sungkyunkwan University, Ritsumeikan University, New York Film Academy, University of Missouri, University of Kansas, Osaka Institute of Technology, Saitama University, Nanjing University, Jilin University, Tongji University and University of Leeds.
- Bianca Bai, model and actress
- Chen Chu, Mayor of Kaohsiung City
- Justin Chou, member of Legislative Yuan (2005-2012)
- Lai Shin-yuan, former Minister of Mainland Affairs Council and Chinese Taipei's former Representative in World Trade Organization.
- Lin Shu-fen, member of 7th, 8th and 9th Legislative Yuan
- Sandrine Pinna, actress
- William Shen 沈玉琳, TV personality and host, producer
The Shih Hsin University Chorus was established on March 22, 1965. It offers scholastic performances, a Winter Music Camp, external performances in spring vacation, and annual performances in June.
ADD: #1 Lane17 Sec.1, Mu-Cha Rd. Taipei, 106 Taiwan, R.O.C.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shih Hsin University.|
- "Chairwoman's Remarks (in Chinese)". Shih Hsin U. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- "History". Dept. of Business Admin., Shih Hsin U. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- "Office of the President". Shih Hsin U. Retrieved 2014-11-03.
- "Yeh Ming-hsun memorial held". China Post. 2009-12-20. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- SHUC Website (Chinese only) Archived February 7, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- SHUC Website (old version)