|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Shillong, Meghalaya, India|
|Elevation AMSL||2,910 ft / 887 m|
The airport was constructed in the mid-1960s and became operational in the mid-1970s. Land measuring 224.16 acres was acquired for expansion of the airport in 2009. The work commenced in June 2009 and was completed in May 2010. The new terminal building, built at a cost of Rs. 300 million, was inaugurated in June 2011.
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) has been allotted land for the further expansion of the airport. The present 6,000 ft runway that can support an ATR-42 aircraft will be extended to about 8,000 feet to facilitate operation of narrow body jet aircraft like Boeing 737 and Airbus A320. The apron for parking of two such jet aircraft and a refuelling station will also be built.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India Regional||Kolkata|
- http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=95836 Expansion of Air Connectivity in North-East
- "Shillong airport's new terminal to open on Saturday". The Economic Times. 22 June 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- "Land handed over to AAI for Umroi Airport expansion work". The Shillong Times. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Defence ministry refuses to give land for Shillong airport". Daily News & Analysis. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- Official site at the Airports Authority of India
- Airport information for VEBI at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.