Amin was born in Kampala, Uganda but grew up in Florida, in the United States. While Shimit Amin was enamored with film culture from an early age, his parents pressed him to be more conventional in his college studies; he graduated with a degree in mathematics from the University of Florida. After playing a significant role in organizing and promoting North Florida's first international film festival, The 1991 Asian/Asian American International Film Festival, in Jacksonville, Florida, Shimit moved to Miami and primarily worked on industrial/corporate and small independent film projects. After about a year in Miami, Amin traveled to California where he worked on independent films before beginning to work, in many behind the camera roles with major Hollywood directors. Amin's energy, film knowledge and high quality work attracted the attention of Bollywood filmmakers. From Los Angeles, Mr. Amin moved on to working in the Indian film Industry.
He received an editing position on the Hindi film Bhoot (2003) through a friend while still living in L.A. It was during this time that he became involved in Ab Tak Chhappan (2004). The film was a box office success. He next became involved with Chak De! India,' which opened to critical and financial success. His latest film, Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year, reunited him with two entities from Chak De! India: screenwriter Jaideep Sahni and Yash Raj Films.
- 2004 - Ab Tak Chhappan
- 2007 - Chak De! India
- 2009 - Rocket Singh: Salesman of the Year
- 2012 - The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Film Editor
- 2013 - Shuddh Desi Romance - Served as a consultant
- TBA - Untitled comedy film starring Ranveer Singh and Yami Gautam
- 2008 - National Film Award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for Chak De India
- 2008 - Best Director for Chak De India
- 2008 - Best Director in Editor Choice for Chak De India
- Other Awards
- 2007 - CNN-IBN Indian of the Year (Entertainment) for Chak De India
- 2008 - V.Shantaram Award for Best Director for Chak De India
- "'Audiences are going to get their money's worth'". Rediff.com, Movies. August 7, 2007. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- "'I have different styles in me'". Rediff.com, Movies. March 1, 2004. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
|This article about an Indian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|