He studied at Mambo Primary School. He was expelled from Goromonzi after demonstrating against Ian Smith's government. He graduated from the University of Zimbabwe, and from the University of Iowa, with an MA in creative writing, in 1985.
- Dew in the Morning. Mambo Press. 1982.; Heinemann, 2001, ISBN 978-0-435-91206-2
- Farai’s Girls (1984)
- Child of War (1986)
- Harvest of Thorns (1989)
- Can we talk and other Stories (1998)
- Tale of Tamari (2004)
- Chairman of Fools (2005)
- Strife. African Books Collective. 2006. ISBN 978-1-77922-058-5.
- Tindo's Quest, Longman Zimbabwe (Pvt) (January 2011), ISBN 177903492X
On Boxing Day, 26 December 2014, Shimmer Chinodya caused a stir at a Harare Hospital when he stripped naked and started threatening hospital workers. Police were called and they took him away and released him later without any charges. Reached for a comment by reporters, Chinodya threatened to sue the reporters if they leaked the story.
- "Literary Encyclopedia - Shimmer Chinodya". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Author Bio: Shimmer Chinodya". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Shimmer Chinodya Biography - Shimmer Chinodya comments:". Retrieved 6 September 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-02-24. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- Zimbabwean, Zaniest. "Mr". http://iharare.co.zw. iHarare. Retrieved 9 January 2015. External link in