Shimokita Hantō Quasi-National Park
|Shimokita Hantō Quasi-National Park|
IUCN category V (protected landscape/seascape)
Shimokita Hanto Quasi-National Park in Japan
|Area||18,728 hectares (72.31 sq mi)|
|Established||July 22, 1968|
|Governing body||Aomori, prefectural governments |
Shimokita Hantō Quasi-National Park (下北半島国定公園 Shimokita-hantō Kokutei Kōen?) is a quasi-national park in the Shimokita Peninsula of Aomori Prefecture in the Tohoku region of far northern Honshū in Japan. It is rated a protected landscape (category V) according to the IUCN. The park, consists of several discontinuous locations, which include:
- the volcanic peaks and caldera lakes of the Osorezan Mountain Range and surrounding forests.
- Yagen Valley, with its hot springs
- the coastal rock formations of Hotokegaura on the west coast of Shimokita Peninsula
- Cape Ōma, the northernmost point of Honshū
- Cape Shiriya, the northeastern-most point Honshū and the Sarugamori Sand Dunes
The park also encompasses a portion of the natural habitat of the Japanese macaque. The mountainous interior is forested with Siebold's beech and Nootka cypress, and coastal areas have stands of tilia and oak. The area was designated a quasi-national park on July 22, 1968.
Like all Quasi-National Parks in Japan, Shimokita Hantō Quasi-National Park is managed by the local prefectural government.
Media related to Shimokitahanto Quasi-National Park at Wikimedia Commons
- Southerland, Mary and Britton, Dorothy. The National Parks of Japan. Kodansha International (1995). ISBN 4-7700-1971-8
- "National Park systems: Definition of National Parks". National Parks of Japan. Ministry of the Environment of the Government of Japan. Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- "Shimokita Hanto". World Database on Protected Areas. United Nations Environment Programme, World Conservation Monitoring Center. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- "List of Quasi-national Parks". Official Home Page of the Ministry of the Environment. Ministry of the Environment Government of Japan. 1994-03-31. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- 下北半島国定公園 [Shimokita Hantō Quasi-National Park] (in Japanese). Aomori Prefecture. Retrieved 23 August 2012.
|This Aomori Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a national/quasi-national park or protected area in Japan, or related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|