Shimonoseki Station in May 2015
(See other stations in Yamaguchi)
|Operator(s)||JR West, JR Kyushu,
Japan Freight Railway Company
|Line(s)||Sanyo Main Line|
Shimonoseki Station (下関駅 Shimonoseki-eki?) is a railway station on the Sanyo Main Line, operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR West) in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi, Japan. Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu) and Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight) services also use this station. The company boundary between JR West and JR Kyushu is at the west end of this station where there is an entrance signal from Moji.
- West Japan Railway Company (JR West)
- Sanyo Main Line (for Hatabu, Shin-shimonoseki)
- Sanin Main Line
- Next station Hatabu is the terminal station of Sanin Line. All trains run to Shimonoseki through the Sanyo Main Line.
- Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu)
- Sanyo Main Line (for Moji)
- 27 May 1901: Opened as Bakan (馬関) Station of San'yō Railway (山陽鉄道 San'yō Tetsudō?). Kanmon Renrakusen (関門連絡船, Shimonoseki Moji Railway Ferry) was started. The station was located about 700m east from today's location.
- 1 June 1902: Changed to Shimonoseki Station according to the change of the city name.
- 11 September 1905: San'yō Railway started Kanfu Renrakusen (関釜連絡船, Shimonoseki Pusan Railway Ferry).
- 1 December 1906: San'yō Railway was nationarized.
- 20 December 1930: Kawasaki Ship (川崎汽船) started Kanrei Renrakusen (関麗連絡船, Shimonseki Yeosu Railway Ferry).
- 27 November 1938: Sanyō Electric Tram (山陽電気軌道) Station was open in front of the station.
- 1 July 1942: Kanmon Tunnel (関門トンネル, Shimonoseki Moji tunnel) was opened.
- 15 November 1942: Station was moved to today's location.
- May 1945: Kanrei Renrakusen stopped.
- Jun 1945: Kanfu Renrakusen stopped.
- 25 December 1946: Tram station was moved in front of the new station.
- 31 October 1964: Kanmon Renrakusen stopped.
- 7 February 1971: Tram stopped.
- 1 April 1987: Privatization of JNR, the station becomes part of the JR West network.
- 29 September 1999: Shimonoseki Station massacre, at least 5 deaths with 10 injuries.
- 7 January 2006: A main station building fire with collapsed, and a 74-year-old man arrested of suspiction of arson.
West Japan Railway (JR West)
- █ Sanyō Main Line
- Shimonoseki - Hatabu
Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu)
- █ Sanyō Main Line
- Moji - Shimonoseki
JR Shimonoseki station and Buzenda area
- Sea Mall Shimonoseki (largest shopping center in West Japan when it was built)
- Shimonoseki Daimaru (department store)
- Wedding Hall
- Buzenda Shopping Street (the most famous downtown in Yamaguchi Prefecture)
- Green Mall shopping street (Korean Town )
- Nagato Market
- Kaikyo Yume Tower (Kaikyo Messe Shimonoseki)
- Hiyoriyama Park
- Shimonoseki Tokyu Inn
- Via Inn Shimonoseki
- Shimonoseki Eki-nishi Washington Hotel Plaza
- Toyoko Inn Shimonoseki-eki Higashi-guchi
- Shimonoseki Station Hotel
- Green Hotel Shimonoseki
- Hotel Wing International Shimonoseki
- Hotel 38th Shimonoseki
- Prince Hotel Shimonoseki
- Shimonoseki Port (Foreign Access Zone)
- Shimonoseki Port International Terminal
- Shimonoseki Fishing Port
- Shimonoseki Citizen hall
- SunLive Karato(Shopping center)
- Karato shopping street
- Kamon Wharf (fresh fish shop and restaurant, etc.)
- Kaikyokan (Aquarium)
- Mt. Hinoyama (268.2m)
- Karato Market (Fresh fish shop etc.)
- Former British Consulate (built in 1906)
- Former Akita Company Building (built in 1915)
- Nabe-cho Post Office (built in 1900)
- Akama Shrine(built in 1191)
- Kameyama Hachimangu Shrine (built in 859)
- Kanmon Straits (Kanmonkyo Bridge)
- Dan-no-ura (Battle of Dan-no-ura)
- Shimonoseki Grand Hotel
- Karato Central Hotel
- Kaikyo View Shimonoseki
- Tokyo Dai-ichi Hotel Shimonoseki
- Shimonoseki City Hinoyama Youth Hostel
- Shimonoseki City Hall
- Arcaport development area
Ferries from Shimonoseki Port International Terminal
- The Kanpu ferry to Busan in South Korea regularly.
- The Orient ferry to Qingdao in China regularly.
- The Orient ferry to Shanghai in China regularly.
- Bus company (A loop-line bus in the city.) : Sanden Kohtsu Co.,Ltd.
- Shimonoseki Station Bus Terminal : Intercity bus services (arrival and departure at Shimonoseki Station Bus Terminal) go to the following destinations: Osaka, Kobe, Fukuoka, Kitakyushu Airport, etc.
Nearby Shinkansen Station