Shin'yaku Kegonkyō Ongi Shiki
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2014)|
The Shin'yaku Kegonkyō Ongi Shiki (新訳華厳経音義私記?) is a Japanese annotation of the Avatamsaka Sūtra. Dated to 794, it is the oldest Japanese ongi, or collection of difficult to interpret words showing their pronunciation and meaning, and is a National Treasure of Japan.
The text is two fascicles in length. The compiler is unknown but is presumed to have related to Tōdai-ji. It is an annotation of the 80-volume Avatamsaka Sūtra. As the original was written in Chinese, the annotation contains a list of words and expressions from the original and glosses them with Japanese readings and meanings. The orthography of the Japanese suggests that it is a late Nara period text. However, the manuscript contains a number of errors and is judged to be a copy of an earlier original. There is only one known existing manuscript.
The text is viewed as a valuable reference for Old Japanese linguistics. The Japanese annotations are written in Man'yōgana and, with the exception of /to1, to2/, distinguishes between Jōdai Tokushu Kanazukai. It contains a total of 162 Japanese words, many of which are the oldest extant citations. In addition, it also contains the oldest example of a long vowel as well as a number of Japanese-specific Kan'yō-on readings of kanji.
- Takeuchi (1962:133-134)
- Kindaichi (1988:74)
- Yoshida (2001: 128)
- Omodaka (1967: 880-881)
- Nihon Koten Bungaku Daijiten (1985: 512-513)
- Kindaichi, Haruhiko; Ōki Hayashi, Takeshi Shibata (1988). Nihongo Hyakka Daijiten (in Japanese). Tōkyō: Taishūkan Shoten. ISBN 4-469-01218-1.
- Nihon Koten Bungaku Daijiten Henshū Iinkai (1986). Nihon Koten Bungaku Daijiten (in Japanese) 3. Iwanami Shoten. ISBN 4-00-080063-9.
- Omodaka, Hisataka (1967). Jidaibetsu Kokugo Daijiten: Jōdaihen (in Japanese). Sanseidō. ISBN 4-385-13237-2.
- Takeuchi, Rizō (1962). Nara Ibun: Volume 3 (in Japanese). Tōkyō: Tōkyōdō Shuppan. ISBN 4-490-30010-7.
- Yoshida, Kanehiko; Hiroshi Tsukishima, Harumichi Ishizuka, Masayuki Tsukimoto (2001). Kuntengo Jiten (in Japanese). Tōkyō: Tōkyōdō Shuppan. ISBN 4-490-10570-3.