15 February 1973 |
Busan, South Korea
|Education||Dankook University - Theater and Film|
|Spouse(s)||Kim Jung-soo (2003-2007; divorced)|
|Revised Romanization||Sin Eun-gyeong|
Shin Eun-kyung began doing commercials in 1986 at the age of 13, and made her television debut in 1988 on KBS. Throughout the late eighties and early nineties she acted in a great number of films and TV dramas (notably in the 2001 medical drama General Hospital), garnering fame for her warm screen presence. In 1997, however, she took on her most daring role as a prostitute in veteran director Im Kwon-taek's Downfall. The film was a box-office success, leading her to star status.
In 1999 she starred in two films, including the Korean-Japanese co-produced horror film The Ring Virus, based on the novel by Koji Suzuki. Her success in this role led to her being cast in a small role for a Japanese film, Uzumaki (also known as Spiral). Around this time Shin was also working as an MC for a television game show.
In 2002 Shin starred in her most famous role as a tough, female gang boss in My Wife Is a Gangster. The film drew more than 5 million spectators and became a strong hit throughout Asia. She also appeared in the sequel, My Wife Is a Gangster 2, but the film faltered at the box office in 2003. Other roles Shin starred in around this time were as a detective in This Is Law (also known as Out of Justice), as a professional matchmaker in the romantic comedy A Perfect Match, and as a naval officer in the box office bomb Blue.
Shin went on a short hiatus after she got married and had a baby. She returned to acting in 2005, starring in films such as Bystanders and Mr. Housewife, and television series such as Bad Couple, Mom's Dead Upset, White Lies, Still You, and Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident. She gained praise for her impassioned portrayals of ruthless and ambitious women in the 2010 melodrama Flames of Desire and the 2014 revenge thriller The Plan.
Shin is also a professor at Seoul Hoseo Art College's Department of Performing Arts since 2011.
On 22 September 2003, Shin married Kim Jung-soo, who was then the CEO of her talent agency Good Player Entertainment. The following year, she gave birth to a son (who was later diagnosed with hydrocephalus). On 24 August 2007, Shin filed for divorce when she learned that Kim had used her private seal without her permission to misappropriate ₩400 million (US$424,800) for his business after its merger with Fantom Entertainment and the box office failure of several films he'd produced. In November, Shin sued Kim for forgery of private documents. But in a separate case, she was sued by KM Culture, the company from whom Kim had taken a loan which amounted to ₩290 million (US$218,000). On 28 December 2008, the court ruled that Shin was not liable for her ex-husband's debts, stating that although Shin's seal is on the loan contract, Shin had not seen any of the money loaned, had not authorized her seal's use, and is therefore not responsible for the debt.
She again landed in the entertainment headlines in 2011 when she underwent bimaxillary osteotomy surgery (or jaw realignment surgery), reportedly because she felt making her strong jawline "slimmer and more rounded" would give her a "younger, softer, more feminine" look, which would result in more acting roles. Shin later spoke candidly that she regretted having undergone the procedure for pure cosmetic purposes, saying the public should be better informed about the pain and danger associated with the invasive surgery. In 2012, she sued an oriental medicine clinic for violating her portrait rights and privacy after it posted false ads on the Internet without her permission featuring her photo and treatment process; she had gone to the clinic to decrease the swelling of her face, a side effect of her jaw reconstruction surgery, but the clinic's treatments proved ineffective. The court ruled in Shin's favor and awarded her damages amounting to ₩35 million.
|1990||This Is the Beginning of Love||Hyeon-im|
|1991||The Lover on the Bicycle|
|1992||Life Isn't a Multiple Choice Test||Min Cho-hee|
|1993||No Emergency Exit|
|1994||Love on a Rainy Day||Peng Young-mi|
|The Young Man||Jae-yi|
|1998||A Mystery of the Cube||Shin Tae-kyung|
|1999||The Ring Virus||Hong Sun-joo|
|General Hospital the Movie: A Thousand Days||Kang Eun-soo|
|2001||My Wife Is a Gangster||Cha Eun-jin|
|This Is Law||Kang Min-joo|
|2002||A Perfect Match||Kim Hyo-jin|
|My Wife Is a Gangster 2||Cha Eun-jin|
|2005||Mr. Housewife||Go Soo-hee|
|Diary of June||Chu Ja-young|
|2010||Love, In Between||Han So-young|
|2013||Born to Sing||Moon Bo-ri's mother|
|1988||Door of Desire||KBS1|
|1990||What the Women Live||MBC|
|Velvet Grass of the Old Days||KBS1|
|1992||Self-Portrait in Black||KBS2|
|1994||The Last Match||Kim Soo-jin||MBC|
|General Hospital||Lee Jung-hwa||MBC|
|1996||Salted Mackerel||Yoo Young-woo||MBC|
|1998||Song of the Wind||Jung Sun-joo||SBS|
|2007||Bad Couple||Kim Dang-ja||SBS|
|2008||Mom's Dead Upset||Na Young-su||KBS2|
|White Lies||Seo Eun-young||MBC|
|2010||Flames of Desire||Yoon Na-young||MBC|
|2012||Still You||Cha Soon-young/
|2013||Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident||Yoon Hwa-young||MBC|
|Your Neighbor's Wife||Hong Kyung-joo||jTBC|
|2014||Wife Scandal - The Wind Rises||Wife (episode 1: "Lie")||TV Chosun|
|Family Secrets||Han Jung-yeon||tvN|
|2015||Oh My Ghostess||Jo Hye-young||tvN|
|The Time We Were Not in Love||Gu Yeon-jung||SBS|
|The Village: Achiara's Secret||Yoon Ji-sook||SBS|
|1997||Beautiful Morning with
Shin Eun-kyung and Kim Chang-wan
|1999||Creating a Better World||SBS|
|2011-2012||She and Him||Channel A|
|2014||A Man Who Satisfies 99 Women||jTBC||Host|
|2001||"Fixing My Makeup"||Wax|
|2002||"Ace of Sorrow"||Jo Sung-mo|
Awards and nominations
|1994||TV Journal Star of the Year Awards||Excellence Award, TV Acting category||General Hospital||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress||Won|
|1995||31st Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||Won|
|1997||18th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best Actress||Downfall||Won|
|Popular Star Award||Won|
|1998||34th Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (Film)||Won|
|2001||22nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Popular Star Award||My Wife Is a Gangster||Won|
|2002||1st Korean Film Awards||Best Actress||A Perfect Match||Nominated|
|2007||SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars||Bad Couple||Won|
|2008||KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Mom's Dead Upset||Nominated|
|2009||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||White Lies||Nominated|
|2010||MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Flames of Desire||Won|
|2012||SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Weekend/Serial Drama||Still You||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|2013||21st Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama||Scandal: A Shocking and Wrongful Incident||Won|
|MBC Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Special Project Drama||Won|
- "SHIN Eun-kyung". Korean Film Council. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "New Taeheung Collection DVDs Announced (Im Kwon-Taek, Jang Sun-Woo)". Twitch Film. 25 July 2006. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Actors and Actresses of Korean Cinema: Shin Eun-kyung". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Chun, Su-jin (19 October 2001). "Success of My Wife Spurs U.S. Adaptation". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Kim, Hee-kyung (6 February 2003). "Three Naval Officers, Love and Friendship". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Kim, Tae-jong (23 November 2005). "New Thriller Deals With Bullying in School". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "미스터주부퀴즈왕 (Mr. Housewife) Press Screening Report". Twitch Film. 16 September 2005. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Shin Eun-kyung Comes to Terms With Her Inner Child". The Chosun Ilbo. 9 July 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Jin, Eun-soo (27 March 2014). "Actress Shin Eun-kyung returns after 4 years". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- Jin, Eun-soo (15 July 2014). "Shin Eun-kyung to star in new thriller". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- Song, Da-in (22 August 2014). "Plan dives into loan sharks' world". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Shin Eun Kyung's Jaw Line Surgery: "I Was Horrified at Myself"". Soompi. 1 September 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Garcia, Cathy Rose A. (9 August 2007). "Actress Shin to Divorce". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Lee, Eun-joo (29 August 2007). "Money troubles, trust issues lead to divorce of actress Shin Eun-kyoung". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Photo reveals actress' dramatic transformation after surgery". Korea JoongAng Daily. 24 August 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Shin Eun-kyung Advertises Plastic Surgery Clinic". The Chosun Ilbo. 2 November 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Sunwoo, Carla (11 April 2012). "Shin Eun-kyung speaks out on new jawline". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Cho, Jae-eun (21 June 2012). "'Baby-face' trend puts added pressure on Korean women". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Actress Sues Oriental Medicine Clinic for W1 Billion". The Chosun Ilbo. 19 January 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- Sunwoo, Carla (21 September 2012). "Shin Eun-kyung sues oriental medicine clinic for libel". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Stars Sue Cosmetic Clinic for Unauthorized Advertising". The Chosun Ilbo. 8 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Shin Dong Yup, Baek Ji Young, and more to find the perfect husband for new JTBC variety show 99 Meeting". Allkpop. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- Kim, Jae-yeon (23 January 2014). "Ex-anchorwoman Moon Ji-ae returns as entertainment show host". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- Hong, Lucia (31 December 2010). "Kim Nam-joo, Han Hyo-joo win grand prize at MBC Acting Awards". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-25.
- "Today's Photo: December 31, 2010". The Chosun Ilbo. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-25.