Shin in 2009
July 29, 1990 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Occupation||Actress, singer and model|
|Revised Romanization||Sin Se-gyeong|
Shin Se-kyung (born July 29, 1990) is a South Korean actress, singer and model. She started as a child actress and had her breakthrough in 2009 with the sitcom High Kick Through the Roof. Since then she starred in the films Hindsight (2011), R2B: Return to Base (2012) and Tazza: The Hidden Card (2014), as well as the television series Deep Rooted Tree (2011), The Girl Who Sees Smells (2015), Six Flying Dragons (2015-2016), and The Bride of Habaek (2017) and Black Knight (2017–2018).
- 1 Early life & Education
- 2 Career
- 3 Ambassadorial role
- 4 Personal life
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Discography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life & Education
Shin was born on July 29, 1990, in Yangcheon, a district of Seoul, South Korea. She studied at the Shinmok High School before enrolling at the Chung-Ang University where she majored in Performing Arts.
1998–2009: Beginnings as a child actress
Shin made her entertainment debut at eight years old in 1998 when she was featured on the cover and poster for Seo Taiji's solo album Take Five. As a child actress, she also appeared in the children's show Ppo Ppo Ppo ("Kiss Kiss Kiss") and 2005 historical drama Toji ("Land").
After a small part in My Little Bride, she subsequently had starring roles in Cinderella, Acoustic and the segment "Believe in the Moment" in Five Senses of Eros, as well as a well-received turn as the younger version of Princess Cheonmyeong in Queen Seondeok.
2009–present: Rising popularity and leading roles
Shin failed to gain a large following until her breakthrough role as a housemaid on the second season of the popular TV sitcom High Kick! in 2009. In 2010 she filmed a seven-episode arc for the reality show series I'm Real which profiled her everyday life while vacationing in Hawaii. Building on her sitcom fame, Shin signed on to numerous television commercials and print advertisement and even made her as one of the most sought celebrity endorser. Lead roles in high-profile acting projects followed, among them film noir Hindsight with Song Kang-ho, the highly rated historical drama Deep Rooted Tree with Jang Hyuk and Han Suk-kyu, and aerial action film R2B: Return to Base with Rain.
However, Shin's next project Fashion King (2012) was poorly received by audiences, particularly its controversial ending. Shin then released her first digital single, "You Were Sweet," which she recorded to promote a coffee franchise she models for. A former singer trainee in middle school, Shin has also contributed songs to the soundtrack of Hindsight, the charity album Love Tree Project, and did her own singing in showcase piece Acoustic. In 2012, she recorded a Christmas carol duet with Epitone Project.
Shin returned to television in the 2013 melodrama When a Man Falls in Love opposite Song Seung-heon, but she received criticism from viewers for her passive character. In 2014, she played a more "bold and confident" role in the gambling film Tazza: The Hidden Card, followed by the fantasy-action series Blade Man.
In a break from her usual dramatic roles, Shin played an aspiring comedian in the webtoon adaptation The Girl Who Sees Smells in 2015 as the titular character. Shin then reunited with Fashion King costar Yoo Ah-in in Six Flying Dragons (2015-2016), another period drama from the screenwriters of Deep Rooted Tree.
In 2017, Shin starred in tvN's fantasy-romance drama The Bride of Habaek alongside Nam Joo-hyuk. This is followed shortly by another fantasy-romance drama, Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me alongside Kim Rae-won..
- On January 15, 2014, Shin was appointed as the Goodwill ambassador for UNESCO's Korean Committee. The honor serves as recognition for her contributions in promoting Korean Culture and Education and her advocacy for the Korean Language, including her appearance in Deep Rooted Tree. In this capacity, she endorses the vision and the mission of the UNESCO bridge program, both in Korea and outside.
- Shin was appointed as the Korean hanbok ambassador. She attended the hanbok runaway show on October 20, 2017.
On October 20, 2010, Shin and boy band SHINee member Jonghyun were spotted dating by a local news outlet; their agencies confirmed the relationship on October 26. After nine months of dating, Shin and Jonghyun broke up in June 2011, citing their busy schedules.
|2004||My Little Bride||Hye-won||Bo Eun best friend|
|2009||Five Senses of Eros||Shin Su-jeong||segment "Believe in the Moment"|
|2012||R2B: Return to Base||Yoo Se-young|
|2014||Tazza: The Hidden Card||Heo Mi-na|
|2017||The Preparation||Kyeong-ran||Special appearance|
|2004||The Land||teenage Choi Seo-hee||SBS|
|2009||Queen Seondeok||teenage Princess Cheonmyeong||MBC|
|High Kick Through the Roof||Shin Se-kyung|
|2011||Deep Rooted Tree||So-yi/Dam||SBS|
|2012||High Kick: Revenge of the Short Legged||Se-kyung
||MBC||cameo, episode 75|
|Fashion King||Lee Ga-young||SBS|
|My Husband Got a Family||Shin Se-kyung
||KBS2||cameo, episode 49|
|2013||When a Man Falls in Love||Seo Mi-do||MBC|
|2014||Blade Man||Son Se-dong||KBS2|
|2015||A Girl Who Sees Smells||Oh Cho-rim/Choi Eun-seol||SBS|
|2015-2016||Six Flying Dragons||Boon-yi|
|2017||The Bride of Habaek||Yoon So-ah||tvN|
|2017-2018||Black Knight: The Man Who Guards Me||Jung Hae-ra||MBC|
|2010||I'm Real: Shin Se-kyung||QTV|
Music video appearances
|1999||"MCMXCIX"||1999 Dae Han Min Guk|
|2010||"Don't Say Anything"||BlueBrand|
|2010||"The Snow Melts"||Shin Se-kyung||Track from Love Tree Project Vol. 1|
|"Confessions of a Dangerous Broccoli"||Track from Acoustic OST|
|2011||"Blue in a Summer Day"||Shin Se-kyung feat. MY Q||Track from Hindsight OST|
|2012||"You Were Sweet"||Shin Se-kyung feat. Sweden Laundry||Digital single|
|"Sweet Christmas"||Shin Se-kyung feat. Epitone Project|
Awards and nominations
|2009||MBC Entertainment Awards||Best New Actress||Won|||
|Best Couple Award in a Comedy/Sitcom with Yoon Shi-yoon||Won|
|2010||4th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Most Influential Star||N/A||Won|
|46th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actress (TV)||Nominated|
|2011||15th Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival||Fantasia Award||Won|||
|4th Style Icon Awards||New Icon Award||N/A||Won|
|48th Grand Bell Awards||Best New Actress||Nominated|
|32nd Blue Dragon Film Awards||Nominated|
|12th Korea Visual Arts Festival||Photogenic Award, TV category||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Drama Special||Won|
|2012||6th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||20's Female Drama Star||Nominated|
|7th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actress||Nominated|
|5th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
|2013||MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Won|
|2014||35th Blue Dragon Film Awards||Popular Star Award||Won|||
|KBS Drama Awards||Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Nominated|
|2015||4th APAN Star Awards||Nominated|
|23rd SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars, Excellence Award, Actress in a Series Drama||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Serial Drama||Won|
|Top 10 Stars||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Nominated|
|Best Couple Award with Yoo Ah-in||Won|
|2016||52nd Baeksang Arts Awards||Most Popular Actress (TV)||Nominated|
|5th APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence in a Serial Drama||Nominated|
- "Forbes Korea's Top 'Power Celebrity 40' ranking". Manila Bulletin. Yahoo News philippines. February 28, 2012. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- '겁 없는' 17세 호러퀸 신세경. The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 4 August 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Kim, Tae-jong (31 May 2006). "Summer for Horror Film Buffs". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- "Actress Shin Se Kyung admits that she looks older than actress Moon Keun Young". Star News. 16 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- 신세경, 영화 단 2편 찍고 15세에 '주연'. Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). 15 July 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- 영화 '신데렐라' 신세경 1인 2역 아니다. The Chosun Ilbo (in Korean). 25 August 2006. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Lee, Min-a (25 September 2006). "Child actors come of age in Korea". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-07-15.
- Kang, Myoung-seok (11 November 2009). "INTERVIEW: Sin Se-gyeong (Part 1)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Kang, Myoung-seok (11 November 2009). "INTERVIEW: Sin Se-gyeong (Part 2)". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Will Shin Se-kyung Be the Hottest TV Star of 2010?". The Chosun Ilbo. 4 January 2010. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- Lee, Hyo-won (11 August 2011). "Song, Shin star in uncanny drama". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lee, Ga-on (31 August 2011). "INTERVIEW: Actress Shin Se-gyeong". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lee, Ga-on (16 November 2011). "Actress Shin Se-gyeong's Movie Picks". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Yu, Ah-jeong (11 January 2012). "Actress proves she's more than pretty". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Hong, Lucia (10 June 2011). "Rain poses with Sin Se-gyeong on movie set". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Shin Se-kyung Aims to Smash Stereotypes with New Movie R2B". The Chosun Ilbo. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Shin Se Kyung saying hello from New York: "Fashion King's coming up!"". Star News. 20 February 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Suk, Monica (14 March 2012). "Yoo A-in says Fashion King casts know what they are doing". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Choi, Bo-ran (29 May 2012). "So True? So False? Actress Shin Se Kyung debut as a singer". Star News. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Kim, Mi-hwa (14 June 2012). "Kim Soo Hyun and Shin Se Kyung release songs on June 14". Star News. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Sunwoo, Carla (15 June 2012). "Shin Se-kyung's You Were Sweet release doesn't miss Kiss Day". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Ho, Stewart (15 March 2012). "Shin Se Kyung was Once an Aspiring Singer". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Oh, Mi-jung (15 August 2011). "Shin Se Kyung Reveals Great Vocals for the OST of Blue Salt". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lee, Hyo-won (28 October 2010). "Pop idols not enough for Acoustic". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Lee, Hye-ji (21 November 2012). "Korean Starlets Fall in Love with Indie Musicians". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Sunwoo, Carla (22 November 2012). "Shin Se-kyung takes part in Epitone Project duet". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Shin Se-kyung to Send Christmas Cheer with Special Album". The Chosun Ilbo. 22 November 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Kim, Gwang-kuk (20 June 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Shin Se-gyeong – Part 1". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- Kim, Gwang-kuk (20 June 2013). "INTERVIEW: Actress Shin Se-gyeong – Part 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-20.
- Ko, Hong-ju (29 June 2013). "Interview Part I: Shin Se Kyung Says She Couldn't Let Go of Seo Mi Do of When a Man Loves". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- Ko, Hong-ju (29 June 2013). "Interview Part II: Shin Se Kyung Talks about When a Man Loves as Its Actress". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2013-06-30.
- Bae, Joong-hyun (2 September 2014). "Shin goes gutsy in gambler role". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Kwon, Ji-youn (6 April 2015). "Convincing plot key to supernatural drama". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2015-04-08.
- "Yoo Ah-in, Shin Se-kyung reunite as lovers in Six Flying Dragons". The Korea Times. 1 October 2015. Retrieved 2015-10-06.
- "'하백의 신부' 측 "남주혁·신세경·크리스탈·공명 출연확정" [공식입장]". Sports Donga (in Korean). 23 February 2017.
- "Young Shin Se-kyung is an old pro : Former child actor was ready for everything on set of her latest drama". Korea JoongAng Daily. 12 September 2017.
- "Shin Se-kyung, Kim Rae-won confirm roles in 'Black Knight'". Kpop Herald. 16 October 2017.
- "'Choosing a character entails big responsibility'". The Korea Times. 24 October 2017.
- "Actress Shin Se Kyung Appointed As UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador". KpopStarz. January 15, 2014.
- "장도연·신세경 등…4인4색 한복 홍보대사". New Daily (in Korean). October 16, 2017.
- Kim, Jessica (27 October 2010). "SHINee Jonghyun and Sin Se-gyeong spotted dating". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Kim, Jessica (28 October 2010). "SHINee Jonghyun girlfriend Sin Se-gyeong shuts down website". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- Ko, Kyoung-seok (20 June 2011). "SHINee Jonghyun, Sin Se-gyeong no longer dating". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-22.
- "Yoo Jae-seok wins grand prize at MBC Entertainment Awards". Asiae. 30 December 2009.
- "PiFan Opens with Homage to Bollywood". The Hollywood Reporter. 15 July 2011.
- "35th Blue Dragon Awards Names THE ATTORNEY Best Film". Korean Film Biz Zone. 18 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shin Se-kyung.|