Shincheonji Church of Jesus the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Shincheonji, Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony|
IThe 6th Shincheonji National Olympiad in Olympic Stadium, South Korea
|Origin||I14 March 1984
|Congregations||12 tribes with several hundred churches in the world|
Shincheonji, Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony (SCJ), commonly known as Shincheonji (Korean: 신천지, Hanja 新天地, "new heaven and earth") is a religious organization, established on March 14, 1984 in South Korea by Lee Man-hee.
Shincheonji is a controversial organisation frequently accused of being a cult It has also operated various other volunteer groups, some of which have been accused of being front organizations, including Mannam Volunteer Association (MVA), Mannam International Youth Coalition, International Peace Youth Group (IPYG), International Women's Peace Group (IWPG), and Heavenly Culture, World Peace, and Restoration of Light (HWPL).
In November 2016 the Church of England issued a formal alert to around 500 parishes in London about the activities of a SCJ/NHNE affiliate known as Parachristo. Parachristo, a registered charity in the UK, runs Bible study courses in London Docklands. Further warnings were issued by Nicky Gumbel, vicar of Holy Trinity Brompton and John Peters, rector of St Mary's Church, London.
- File, Curtis (28 October 2012). "Mannam Volunteer Association faces criticism from foreign residents". Yonhap News. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Controversial religious group holds int'l peace event in Seoul". Korea Times. 18 September 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Valdez, Matt (10 September 2012). "Shinchonji National Olympiad To Take Place In South Korea – Sept. 16". Anaheim Connected. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Controversial religious group holds int'l peace event in Seoul". Korea Times. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Dunbar, Jon (17 September 2014). "Alleged cult leader Lee Man-hee hosts world peace summit in Seoul". Korea Observer. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Twitch, Jon (16 June 2014). "From Mannam to IPYG: another Shinchonji cult front". Asia Pundits. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Bergsma, Martijn. "How I ended up in a Korean religious cult". YEU-International. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Contentious Christian group hosting world peace summit in South Korea". Ecumenical News. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- Daily Telegraph 10 December 2016 Exclusive: Churches warned of 'deceptive cult' linked to South Korea infiltrating congregations