Shiner (2000 film)
Original theatrical poster
|Directed by||John Irvin|
|Produced by||Geoffrey Reeve
|Written by||Scott Cherry|
|Music by||Paul Grabowsky|
|Edited by||Ian Crafford|
The story centers on Billy "Shiner" Simpson (Caine) a boxing promoter banned from legitimate fights until he finds a promising start in his son Eddie. The night of the fight sees Eddie killed, and Simpson suspects rival Frank Spedding (Landau). Billy seeks revenge, only to grow mad as his suspicions draw closer to home.
- Michael Caine as Billy "Shiner" Simpson
- Martin Landau as Frank Spedding
- Frances Barber as Georgie
- Frank Harper as Jeff "Stoney" Stone
- Andy Serkis as Mel
- Matthew Marsden as Eddie "Golden Boy" Simpson
- Kenneth Cranham as Gibson "Gibbo"
Jane Crowther of the BBC said, "A Lear-like construction serves well to show the gradual unraveling of a ruthlessly ambitious man trading on familial loyalty and past glory."
The score by Paul Grabowsky effectively creates a disturbing and sinister mood.
- "Shiner Review" 13 September 2001 http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2001/09/05/shiner_2001_review.shtml
|This article about a 2000s action film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|