Shining (Swedish band)
Kvarforth live on February 3, 2007
|Genres||Black metal, progressive metal|
|Years active||1996–2004, 2004–present|
|Labels||Spinefarm, Osmose, Dark Essence Records|
|Associated acts||Skitliv, Ondskapt, Bethlehem, In Lingua Mortua, Mayhem, Den Saakaldte|
|Website||Shining Asylum - Official Website|
|Past members||(see below)|
Shining is a Swedish black metal band formed in 1996 by Niklas Kvarforth in Halmstad, Sweden. The band’s music contains depressive undertones, which include personal and suicide-themed lyrics.
Kvarforth is the main composer and vocalist of the band and started the band when he was twelve. By the time Kvarforth was fourteen, Shining had released their first EP Submit to Selfdestruction (1998) on which he played guitars and bass. It was not until the band released their first album, Within Deep Dark Chambers (2000), that Kvarforth became the band’s vocalist.
The band released two more albums Livets ändhållplats (2001) and Angst, Självdestruktivitetens Emissarie (2002), before splitting up in August 2004. Their fourth album, The Eerie Cold (2005), was supposed to be their last, but the band reformed later the same year with a new line-up capable of live shows.
Kvarforth disappeared in July 2006 and a rumor was spread he was presumed to have committed suicide. On August 23, 2006 the band posted a statement on their website declaring Kvarforth had disappeared. The band was said to continue with a new singer named “Ghoul,” as one of the wishes from Kvarforth.
At a concert that took place on February 3, 2007, at Diezel in Halmstad, Sweden, “Ghoul” was revealed to be Kvarforth. The concert was violent in nature, with Kvarforth occasionally fighting the audience and the guest vocalists (Attila Csihar, Maniac and Nattefrost).
The band released their fifth album in 2007, Halmstad (Niklas angående Niklas), a reference to Kvarforth’s hometown.
A compilation album entitled 8½ - Feberdrömmar I Vaket Tillstånd (2013) was released that featured re-recorded songs from 2001-2002 and different vocalists for 5/6 tracks.
The band's ninth album entitled, IX - Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends, was released on April 21, 2015.
Musically, Shining went from black metal with doom influences on their earlier work to a more progressive extreme metal sound with extensive use of clean guitars, guitar solos, different vocal styles and often tempo shifts and odd time signatures. Shining's music also contains several movie samples from films such as Prozac Nation, She's So Lovely, and American Psycho.
Shining openly promotes suicide and self-harm in all its forms (e.g. drugs) in their lyrics. The founder of the band, Niklas Kvarforth, has claimed, with contentment, there have been some cases of people committing suicide at least partially under the influence of Shining's music.
Vocalist Niklas Kvarforth wanted to "force feed" his listeners "with self-destructive and suicidal imagery and lyrics". In the beginning he used the term "suicidal black metal" for his music to separate himself from the "mediocre worms". However, he stopped using the term in 2001 because it had begun to be used by a slew of other bands, whom he felt had misinterpreted his vision and were using the music as a kind of therapy rather than a weapon against the listener as Kvarforth intended. He said that he "wouldn't call Shining a black metal band" and called the "suicidal black metal" term a "foolish idea".
- Niklas Kvarforth (a.k.a. "Ghoul") – lead vocals, guitars, keyboards (1996–present)
- Peter Huss – lead and rhythm guitar (2005–present)
- Christian Larsson – bass guitar (2010–2016)
- Jarle Byberg – drums (2016)
- Euge Valovirta – rhythm guitar, backing vocals (2012–present)
- Lead and rhythm guitars
- Håkan "Inisis" Ollars (2002)
- John Doe (2005–2006)
- Andreas Casado (2005–2006)
- Fredric "Wredhe" Gråby (2006–2011)
- Sebastiaan Bats (2011)
- Bass guitar
- Tusk (2000–2001)
- Johan Hallander (2005–2007)
- Phil A. Cirone (2001–2005, 2007–2008)
- Andreas Larssen (2008–2010)
- Ted "Impaler" Wedebrand (1998–2001)
- Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg (2001–2004)
- Jarle "Uruz" Byberg (2007–2008)
- Rickard "Rille" Schill (2008–2010)
- Ludwig Witt - (2005–2007, 2011-2012)
- Rainer Tuomikanto (2012–2016)
- Within Deep Dark Chambers (2000)
- Livets ändhållplats (2001)
- Angst, självdestruktivitetens emissarie (2002)
- The Eerie Cold (2005)
- Halmstad (2007)
- Klagopsalmer (2009)
- Född förlorare (2011)
- Redefining Darkness (2012)
- Everyone, Everything, Everywhere, Ends (2015)
EPs and compilations
- Submit to Selfdestruction (EP, 1998)
- Dolorian/Shining (Split EP, 2004)
- Through Years of Oppression (Rarity compilation, 2004)
- The Darkroom Sessions (Rehearsal compilation, 2004)
- Shining/Den Saakaldte (Split EP, 2008)
- Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt (EP, 2012)
- 8 ½ – Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd (Compilation, 2013)
- In the Eerie Cold Where All the Witches Dance (Split EP, 2013)
- Shining On The Enslaved (Split EP with, Enslaved, 2015)
- "Förtvivlan, min arvedel" (2011)
- "Förtvivlan, min arvedel" (2011)
- "Tillsammans är vi allt" (2012)
- "Vilja & Dröm" (2015)
- "Shining Quits Indie And Signs With Spinefarm – Album Release Date Set". Facebook. 2011-04-02. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Webzine interview with Kvarforth". Black Terror Webzine. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "Comment On Rumors Of Singer's Suicide". Shiningangst.se. Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- Black Metal Satanica, 2008.
- Metal1.info (2014-06-20). "Shining | Interviews". Metal1.info. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Shining biography". MusicMight. Retrieved 26 October 2008.
- "Shining - Metal Storm". Metal Storm. Retrieved 26 October 2008.
- "Shining Parts Ways With Bassist - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
- "Shining - Reveal New EP Details". Metal Storm. Retrieved 2015-12-02.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shining (Swedish band).|