A wood market in the city
|• Type||City Council|
|Population (2010 estimate)|
|Time zone||GMT + 3|
Shinyanga, also known as Shinyanga mji in the local Swahili language, is a city in northern Tanzania. The city is the location of the regional headquarters of Shinyanga Region as well as the district headquarters of Shinyanga Urban District. The region and district are named after the town.
Shinyanga is located in Shinyanga District, in Shinyanga Region, in northern Tanzania. The city is located approximately 175 kilometres (109 mi), by road, southeast of Mwanza, the nearest large city. This location lies approximately 475 kilometres (295 mi), by road, northwest of Dodoma, the capital city of Tanzania. The coordinates of the city are: 3°39′43″S 33°25′23″E / 3.661945°S 33.423056°E / -3.661945; 33.423056.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Shinyanga at about 93,000. In August 2010, the population of the city was estimated at about 107,360.
The landmarks in the city of Shinyanga or near its borders, include the following:
- The headquarters of Kahama Regional Administration
- The headquarters of Shinyanga Urban District
- The offices of Shinyanga City Council
- Shinyanga Central Market
- Shinyanga General Hospital
- Shinyanga Airport (IATA: SHY, ICAO: HTSY)
- Shinyanga Railway Station - Located on a branch of the Central Railway of Tanzania.
- Shinyanga City Stadium - A public stadium administered by Shinyanga City Council
- River Nkumbu - The chief source of water for the city, is located about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi), east of the central business district of Shinyanga.
- The Tabora-Mwanza Highway - The highway passes through the center of town
The region has a forest restoration programme which is well documented by the Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nations Environment Programme and the Global Partnership on Forest Landscape Restoration. The programme is featured in the film Forests for the 21st Century.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shinyanga.|