A wood market in the city during the day time.
|• Type||City Council|
|Time zone||GMT + 3|
Shinyanga, also known as Shinyanga mji in the local Swahili language, is a city in northern Tanzania. The city is the location of the regional headquarters of Shinyanga Region as well as the district headquarters of Shinyanga Urban District. The region and district are named after the town.
Shinyanga is located in Shinyanga District, in Shinyanga Region, in northern Tanzania. The city is located approximately 175 kilometres (109 mi), by road, southeast of Mwanza, the nearest large city. This location lies approximately 475 kilometres (295 mi), by road, northwest of Dodoma, the capital city of Tanzania. The coordinates of the city are: 3°39′43″S 33°25′23″E / 3.661945°S 33.423056°E / -3.661945; 33.423056.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Shinyanga at about 93,000. The 2012 national census listed the population of Shinyanga Municipal Council at 161,391. 
The current seven landmarks in the city of Shinyanga or near its borders, include the following:
- The headquarters of Kahama Regional Administration
- The headquarters of Shinyanga Urban District
- The offices of Shinyanga City Council
- Shinyanga Central Market
- Shinyanga General Hospital
- Shinyanga City Stadium - A public stadium administered by Shinyanga City Council
- River Nkumbu - The chief source of water for the city, is located about 3 kilometres (1.9 mi), east of the central business district of Shinyanga.
Shinyanga is served by the Shinyanga Railway Station as a branch of the Central Railway of Tanzania.
The region has a forest restoration programme which is well documented by the Food and Agriculture Organization, United Nations Environment Programme and the Global Partnership on Forest Landscape Restoration. The programme is featured in the film Forests for the 21st Century.
|Climate data for Shinyanga City|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shinyanga.|