|Motto: Where Nature Begins|
Location of Shiocton, Wisconsin
Location of Shiocton, Wisconsin in Outagamie County
|• Type||Village President/Trustees|
|• Village President||Judy Shafel|
|• Village Clerk||Laurie Bunnell|
|• Total||1.66 sq mi (4.30 km2)|
|• Land||1.56 sq mi (4.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.10 sq mi (0.26 km2)|
|Elevation||768 ft (234 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||920|
|• Density||590.4/sq mi (228.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1574055|
Shiocton is located at (44.443363, -88.578269).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.66 square miles (4.30 km2), of which, 1.56 square miles (4.04 km2) of it is land and 0.10 square miles (0.26 km2) is water.
As of 2000 the median income for a household in the village was $36,528, and the median income for a family was $48,750. Males had a median income of $35,000 versus $21,477 for females. The per capita income for the village was $18,260. About 5.0% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.9% of those under age 18 and 2.2% of those age 65 or over.
As of the census of 2010, there were 921 people, 372 households, and 255 families residing in the village. The population density was 590.4 inhabitants per square mile (228.0/km2). There were 403 housing units at an average density of 258.3 per square mile (99.7/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 91.5% White, 0.2% African American, 0.5% Native American, 5.9% from other races, and 1.8% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.0% of the population.
There were 372 households of which 37.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.8% were married couples living together, 12.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 8.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 31.5% were non-families. 26.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.96.
The median age in the village was 35.5 years. 27.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 8.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 27.5% were from 25 to 44; 25.5% were from 45 to 64; and 11.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 51.0% male and 49.0% female.
The village is regularly visited by fishermen because of the Wolf River, which meanders through the village. The busiest time of year is in April, starting with the walleye spring run on the river. Later in the month, sturgeon spawn in the Wolf River as they swim upstream from Lake Winnebago. Crowds gather at Bamboo Bend west of the downtown area to see the fish as they spawn along the banks of the river, and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources studies the fish during that time. Other events include the late-July fly-in at the Shiocton Airport, a privately owned airport, and the September "Cabbage Chuck" contest sponsored by St. Denis Catholic Church.
Parks and Recreation
The village of Shiocton has three parks and one trail.
- Lake Park includes: pavilions, two baseball diamonds, swimming lake, and a playground - (Park Ave)
- Hamlin Park includes: a playground, and rustic camping - (Hamlin Street / WIS 187)
- Library Park includes a playground - (Corner of Pine & Second Streets)
- Newton Blackmour State Trail: 23 miles (37 km) long, Welcome to Hikers, bikers, and horseback riders during summer months; snowmobiling, snowshoing, and cross country skiing during winter months - (Part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy)
||WIS 54, also marked as Rexford Avenue, Eastbound, routes to Black Creek and Green Bay. Westbound, WIS 54 routes to New London.|
||WIS 76, also marked as River Street Northbound routes to Bear Creek. Southbound, WIS 76 routes to Greenville and Oshkosh.|
||WIS 187, also marked as Hamlin Street Northbound routes to Leeman. Southbound, WIS 187 Routes to WIS 54.|
The village of Shiocton has four churches: Saint Denis Parish House, a Roman Catholic Church; First Evangelical Lutheran Church, a member of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church, a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod; and the First Congregational Church.
- Village of Shiocton
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Outagamie County Parks, "The Newton Blackmour State Trail".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shiocton, Wisconsin.|
- Village of Shiocton Official Site
- Shiocton Public Library
- Shiocton Town Brochure in 1904
- A History of Shiocton Wisconsin
- Shiocton First Evangelical Lutheran Church