A 255 series EMU on a Shiosai service at Chōshi in August 2010
|Service type||Limited express|
|Locale||Sōbu Main Line|
|First service||10 March 1975|
|Current operator(s)||JR East|
|Distance travelled||120.5 km (74.9 mi)|
|Catering facilities||Trolley service|
|Rolling stock||255 series, E257-500 series EMUs|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC overhead|
|Operating speed||130 km/h (80 mph)|
Past rolling stock
- 183 series EMUs (10 March 1975 – 2005)
9-car 255 series
|Numbering||KuHa 254||MoHa 254||MoHa 255||SaRo 255||SaHa 254||SaHa 255||MoHa 254||MoHa 255||KuHa 255|
Car 3 is reserved on some services, and car 5 is non-reserved on some services.
5+5-car E257 series
|Numbering||KuHa E256-500||MoHa E257-1500||MoHa E256-500||MoHa E257-500||KuHa E257-500||KuHa E256-500||MoHa E257-1500||MoHa E256-500||MoHa E257-500||KuHa E257-500|
Trains were originally formed of 9-car 183 series EMUs, including one Green car, or 6-car sets with no Green car, but from December 1994, services were formed of 8-car 183 series sets with the Green car removed, as shown below.
8-car 183 series
The Shiosai service was introduced from 10 March 1975 following the completion of electrification of the Sōbu Main Line in October 1974, using 9-car 183 series EMUs, replacing five of the seven daily diesel-powered Inubō (犬吠?) express services that operated between Shinjuku/Ryōgoku and Chōshi.
From the start of the November 1982 timetable revision, further 183 series EMUs were drafted in, displaced from Toki limited express services following the opening of the Joetsu Shinkansen, and the remaining Inubō express services were discontinued and absorbed into the Shiosai services, giving seven return workings daily.
From the start of the 14 March 2015 timetable revision, all Shiosai services started and terminated at Tokyo Station, with no services operating from Shinjuku.
- JR Timetable. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. April 2016. p. 95-95, 984.
- JR新幹線＆特急列車ファイル [JR Shinkansen & Limited Express Train File]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. 2008. p. 646. ISBN 978-4-330-00608-6.
- JR電車編成表 2012冬 [JR EMU Formations - Winter 2012]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. October 2011. pp. 50–51. ISBN 978-4-330-25611-5.
- 国鉄電車編成表１９８５年版 [JNR EMU Formations - 1985]. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. October 2010. p. 30. ISBN 978-4-330-17610-9.
- こだわりの新幹線＆特急列車ガイド [In-depth Shinkansen & Limited Express Guide]. Japan: Ikaros Publishing. August 2000. pp. 84–85. ISBN 4-87149-284-2.
- Teramoto, Mitsuteru (July 2001). 国鉄・ＪＲ列車名大辞典 [JNR & JR Train Name Encyclopedia]. Tokyo, Japan: Chuoshoin Publishing Co., Ltd. p. 266. ISBN 4-88732-093-0.
- JR特急列車年鑑2013 [Limited Express Annual 2013]. Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. 20 December 2012. p. 166. ISBN 978-4-86320-654-0.
- JR Timetable. Japan: Kotsu Shimbunsha. February 2015. EAN 4910053110259.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Shiosai.|