Shipley, West Sussex
Church of St. Mary the Virgin,
viewed from the windmill
|Area||31.26 km2 (12.07 sq mi) |
|Population||1,075  2001 Census|
1,147 (Census 2011)
|• Density||34/km2 (88/sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||37 mi (60 km) NNE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||South East Coast|
Shipley is a village and civil parish in the Horsham District of West Sussex, England. It lies just off the A272 road 6 miles (10 kilometres) north-east of Storrington. The parish includes the village of Coolham and the hamlets of Dragon's Green, Brooks Green and Broomer's Corner.
Shipley is first mentioned in a charter of 1073 as Scapeleia, and in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Sepelei. The name derives from the Old English scēap ('sheep') and lēah ('open ground, such as meadow, pasture, or arable land'). Thus it means 'sheep-clearing' or 'sheep-pasture'.
The western River Adur flows through the village, where it meets a significant tributary, Lancing Brook.
The parish has a land area of 3,125 hectares (7,720 acres). In the 2001 census 1075 people lived in 448 households of whom 596 were economically active. At the 2011 Census the population included the hamlet of Coolham and increased to a total of 1,147.
Shipley was home to Hilaire Belloc who in 1906 purchased Kings Land, with a house, 5 acres (2 ha) and Shipley Windmill, which was used in the television series Jonathan Creek as Creek's residence.
- "2001 Census: West Sussex – Population by Parish" (PDF). West Sussex County Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names Based on the Collections of the English Place-Name Society, ed. by Victor Watts (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004), s.v. SHIPLEY.
- Schoolnet on Belloc Archived 2008-02-07 at the Wayback Machine
- "Shipley Windmill". www.shipleywindmill.org.uk. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- Foreman, Lewis (2011). The John Ireland Companion - Lewis Foreman - Google Books. ISBN 9781843836865. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Shipley Church Photos, West Sussex". Gravelroots.net. Retrieved 31 January 2016.
Media related to Shipley, West Sussex at Wikimedia Commons