Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands 2006
|Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands 2006|
|No. of episodes||20|
|Location(s)||Moturakau and Rapota, Cook Islands, South Pacific|
|Filming dates||September 2005 – January 2006|
|Original release||8 January – 28 May 2006|
|Preceded by||Shipwrecked (Series 3)|
|Followed by||Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands 2007 (Series 5)|
Shipwrecked: Battle of the Islands 2006 is a British reality series that premiered on Channel 4 in 2006. It is the fourth series of the RDF Media programme, Shipwrecked, and featured a radically different format from the first three series, in that contestants were divided into tribes, with competitions, voting and a cash prize at stake.
|Member||Arrival Week||Original Tribe||Original Tribe||Arrival Week||Member|
Interior Design Graduate
Pen & Paper
Pen & Paper
Gap Year Student
Journal & Pen
23, Isle of Man
Panel Beater & Part-Time Bouncer
Band tour manager
"Pass The Pigs" game
A pair of working gloves
Diary & Pen
Fashion Sales Assistant
Silk lining for sleeping bag
20, West Sussex
Journal & Pen
18, Newcastle upon Tyne
Diary & Pen
Note pad & Journal
Graduate / promotional work
22, London/Northern Ireland
Note pad & pen
Pen & Paper
Works for Architect
Buddhist prayer book, incense & beads.
^Note 1 : James George originally joined Tigers in Week 6, but nominated to Sharks in Week 8 after being found out as a Shark mole by the Tigers.
^Note 2 : Jo Armstrong is the sister of departed castaway Geoff Armstrong. Jo originally introduced herself as "Lorna" in her week as new arrival to hide her relationship to Geoff.
^Note 3 : Chris Baddoo made a shock nomination to Sharks in Week 11, but nominated back to Tigers in Week 13 using up his two island moves.
^Note 4 : Kevin had nominated to Tigers in Week 13, but was rejected as the Tigers favoured the returning Chris Baddoo. Kevin successfully nominated to Tigers in Week 14. As a punishment for the kidnapping of Anna Singleton in Week 16, the Tigers nominated Kevin to go back to the Sharks as a "punishment", Kevin had always planned on nominating back to the Sharks anyway.
^Note 5 : Gareth nominated to Sharks after an unhappy week on Tigers in Week 14.
^Note 6 : Courtney nominated to Sharks in Week 15, after not settling on Tiger Island.
^Note 7 : John volunteered to serve the Shark's punishment for setting foot on Tiger Island during the Anna Singleton fiasco.
Castaways That Departed
|Name||Arrival Week||Week Departed||Reason for Leaving shark tribe didn't understand him|
|1||5||Fell out with Shark Tribe & nomination to Tigers rejected.|
The Kidnapping of Anna Singleton
During the sixteenth week in the competition, both tribes were asked to select a member of the opposing side to stay for one night, in a game where numbers are vital this was an ideal opportunity to claim back former members who had switched. The Shark Tribe ask for Katie who is a founding member of the Tigers and is heavily inclined towards them. When the Tigers ask for Anna the Sharks are wary of their strategy and eagerly await the return of their tribe member.
After a night of enjoyment on Tigers Anna becomes close to Chris Brain, the Tigers agree to kidnap Anna for a bit of fun and send a ransom note to the Sharks. (though when they originally voice the idea you can hear Anna agree to it due.) Enraged by the demands, the Sharks endure the 1/2 mile swim and demand the return of their tribe mate who is hiding in the jungle with Chris Brain, Shipwrecked rules dictate that an opposing tribe cannot stand on the opposing island unless invited or if it is a Sunday (generally known as a Beach Party where the new castaway decide their tribe). The Sharks violate this rule by raiding the camp and in doing so taking Kevin with them, thus breaking another rule by unofficially joining an island without nomination. At the Beach Party in which Ryan chose his tribe (eventually, Tigers) they were informed that they would be punished for their actions, and that each tribe must sacrifice one of their own to move permanently. Tiger Island accepted Kevins wish to move, meanwhile Shark Islanders James George and John Melvin stated they would move, although James suffered heavily whilst he was on Tigers due to his own stupidity and John was known as the leader of Shark Island.
When Kevin and John swapped necklaces - they were reminded that this was non-negotiable. And they would never bear their old tribes necklace, much to the dismay of Sharks.
- Geoff was the first Shipwrecked castaway to nominate to move tribes. Geoff had exiled himself from the rest of the Shark tribe and had nominated himself to move to Tigers in Week 5, the Tigers denied his request and Geoff subsequently left the show.
- The next installment of the American series 'Survivor' was filmed on the very same islands (Moturakau and Rapota) as used in Shipwrecked 2006 and was called Survivor: Cook Islands. The series was filmed from June until August 2006, only weeks before the next set of castaways arrived on the 'deserted & untouched' islands.
- Shark inhabitant Jo Armstrong is the sister to former Shark Geoff Armstrong, but the siblings never appeared on the show together.
- During the reunion show on Channel 4, John who decided to sacrifice himself to Tigers for rule-breaking stated he took a share of the Sharks prize money, although when questioned he stated he would still accept a share of the money if Tigers won.
- Jenni's speech to choose her island was heavily edited down to three minutes from twelve.
- Loads of activities took place during the beach parties including tug of war, football matches, dance and rap-offs, which were never shown on the TV programme.
- Alara is sister of Helena Gee, former frontwoman in Leeds-based band The Ivories.