Շիրակ Միջազգային Oդանավակայան
|Airport type||International / Military|
|Owner||General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia|
|Operator||Armenia International Airports CJSC|
|Location||Gyumri, Shirak, Armenia|
|Elevation AMSL||5,000 ft / 1,524 m|
Shirak Airport (Armenian: Շիրակ միջազգային օդանավակայան, (IATA: LWN, ICAO: UDSG) is an international airport serving Gyumri and the province of Shirak, Armenia. It is located about 5 km from the center of Gyumri. The airport was inaugurated in 1961, and is the second largest airport in the country, after Yerevan's Zvartnots International Airport.
The airport terminal was built in 1982 by architects Levon Christophorian and Ruben Asratyan. However, after the earthquake in 1988, the airport became largely inoperable and practically unused until it was partially renewed in 2004. At the start of 2006, Armenia felt the importance of having a second airport, when adverse weather conditions meant that many flights had to be diverted from Yerevan’s Zvartnots International Airport into Gyumri’s Shirak Airport. New radar systems that make it possible to identify aircraft within a 400 km radius were installed in 2006.
On December 26, 2018 it was reported by Hripsime Grigoryan, the head of the Tourism Committee, an affiliation of the Ministry of Economic Development and Investments, that European low-cost airlines are ready to enter the Armenian market, According to her, to that end a set of negotiations were held with a number of European low-cost airlines. She said in all likelihood the low-cost airlines will operate flights to Armenia’s second-largest town of Gyumri.
Runway 02 is equipped with an ILS CAT I, enabling aircraft operations in low ceiling (60 meters) and visibility (800 meters). The airport is also equipped with a new Air Traffic Control Tower, and a new boiler room, both built as part of the renewal project.
Airlines and destinations
|Ural Airlines||Seasonal: Krasnodar, Rostov-on-Don-Platov, Samara|
|Departing passenger traffic||18,800||24,011||11,339||12,911||6,593||52,828||83,574|
|Arriving passenger traffic||27,300||22,399||7,291||9357||5,828||52,836||82,372|
|Total passenger traffic||46,100||46,410||18,630||22,268||12,421||105,664||165,946|
|Exported freight (tons)||20||3.1||N/A||2.0||4||1.3||0.3|
|Imported freight (tons)||126||15||6.2||62.6||0.2||1||0.3|
|Total freight (tons)||146||18.1||6.2||64.5||4.2||2.3||0.6|
|Aircraft movements (departure or landing)||472||355||166||144||54||372||488|
- Transport in Armenia
- List of the busiest airports in Armenia
- List of the busiest airports in the former USSR
- Armenian Civil Aviation Department - Gyumri Airport Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Armats.com - Navigation Services
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-05-31.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia - 2005-2006 Statistics
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-05-31.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia - 2006-2007 Statistics
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-05-31.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia - 2008-2009 Statistics
- General Department of Civil Aviation of Armenia - airport information (in English)
- Airport information for UDSG at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.