Shiraz International Airport
Shiraz Shahid Dastgheib International Airport
فرودگاه بین المللی شهید دستغیب شیراز
|Owner||Government of Iran|
|Operator||Iran Airports Company|
Iranian Air Force
|Hub for||Iran Aseman Airlines|
|Focus city for||Iran Air|
|Elevation AMSL||4,920 ft / 1,500 m|
Shiraz Shahid Dastgheib International Airport (IATA: SYZ, ICAO: OISS) (Persian: فرودگاه بین المللی شیراز) is an international airport located in Shiraz, Iran that is the main international airport of Fars province and southern region of Iran.
Shiraz International Airport, Also known as Shahid Dastgheib International Airport, named before the great scholar, is the largest airport in the southern region of Iran. After undergoing renovation and redevelopment work in 2005, Shiraz Airport was identified as the second most reliable and modern airport in Iran, after Tehran-Imam Khomeini , in flight safety including electronic and navigation control systems of its flight tower.
Shiraz International Airport has two main passenger terminals which are connected to each other:
Domestic Terminal or Terminal 1 is the older and larger than the other terminal and exclusively handles domestic flights within Iran.
International Terminal or Terminal 2 is used for all scheduled and charter international flights. Also an international terminal is under construction for International flights which is due to be built by 2020. After the completion of the new International Terminal the current International Terminal will be used for Hajj flights.
Airlines and destinations
The following airlines operate passenger flights at Shiraz International Airport:
^a According to Iranian laws direct passenger flights to Antalya are banned, So Pegasus Airlines and SunExpress seasonal charter flights from Shiraz to Antalya have a stopover in Adana. However, these airlines do not carry local traffic between Shiraz and Adana. The return flights also has the same conditions. This law applies only to passenger flights and does not include VIP, Cargo or ferry flights.
|Iran Air Cargo||Doha, Tehran-Mehrabad|
Accidents and incidents
- On 15 June 1971, Douglas C-47A EP-ADG of the Air Taxi Co was damaged beyond economic repair in an accident at Shiraz Airport.
- On 14 December 2018, a Boeing 737 MAX 8 LN-BKE, operated by Norwegian Air Shuttle, flight DY 1933, delivered only in October 2018, made a forced landing at Shiraz Airport after a technical failure with one of its two engines. The passengers and crew disembarked and the next day continued their journey originating in Dubai, UAE to Oslo, Norway. Until February 2019, the aircraft had not yet been recovered due to strict technical embargoes by the United States against the state of Iran. By the end of January 2019, the status of LN-BKE had changed to "stored". On 22 February, the aircraft was finally recovered.
- Iran Civil Aviation Organization
- Transport in Iran
- List of airports in Iran
- List of the busiest airports in Iran
- List of airlines of Iran
- "Traffic Figures". Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "Istanbul New Airport Transition Delayed Until April 5, 2019 (At The Earliest)".
- cite web|url=http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19710613-0 |title=EP-ADG Hull-loss description |publisher=Aviation Safety Network |accessdate=19 September 2010