Shire of Caboolture
|Shire of Caboolture|
Location within Queensland
|Population||132,473 (2006 census)|
|• Density||108.194/km2 ( 280.222/sq mi)|
|Area||1,224.4 km2 (472.7 sq mi)|
|Region||South East Queensland|
|Website||Shire of Caboolture|
The Shire of Caboolture was a local government area located in the Australian state of Queensland on the northern urban fringe of the capital, Brisbane, and south of the Sunshine Coast. The Shire covered an area of 1,224.4 square kilometres (472.7 sq mi), of which approximately one-quarter was urban, and existed as a local government entity from 1879 until 2008, when it amalgamated with the City of Redcliffe and Shire of Pine Rivers to form the Moreton Bay Region.
Caboolture Division was created on 11 November 1879 as one of 74 divisions around Queensland under the Divisional Boards Act 1879. It was centred on Caboolture, which was at that time a small logging town, and initially covered all of Moreton Bay and much of the Sunshine Coast, but by 1890 had shrunk considerably with the separate incorporation of the Pine Division (21 January 1888), Redcliffe Division (5 April 1888) and Maroochy Division (5 July 1890).
On 15 March 2008, under the Local Government (Reform Implementation) Act 2007 passed by the Parliament of Queensland on 10 August 2007, the Shire of Caboolture merged with the City of Redcliffe and the Shire of Pine Rivers to form the Moreton Bay Region.
Suburbs and towns
The Shire of Caboolture included the following suburbs:
Chairmen and mayors
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Caboolture (S) (Local Government Area)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- "Proclamation [Caboolture Division]". Queensland Government Gazette. 11 November 1879. p. 25:994.
- "Agency ID549, Caboolture Divisional Board". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Caboolture Town History". Retrieved 2008-05-06.
- "Agency ID1483, Pine Divisional Board". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Agency ID1377, Maroochy Divisional Board". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Agency ID550, Caboolture Shire Council". Queensland State Archives. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- Brown, Elaine. "Pettigrew, William (1825–1906)". Australian Dictionary of Biography. National Centre of Biography, Australian National University. Retrieved 26 December 2013.
- Pugh, Theophilus Parsons (1927). Pugh's Almanac for 1927. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Caboolture Shire
- Official website at the Wayback Machine (archive index)