Shire of Colac Otway
|Shire of Colac Otway|
Location in Victoria
|Population||20,972 (2016 census)|
|• Density||6.1089/km2 ( 15.8221/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||23 September 1994|
|Area||3,433 km2 (1,325.5 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Joe McCracken|
|Region||Barwon South West|
|Website||Shire of Colac Otway|
The Shire of Colac Otway is a local government area in the Barwon South West region of Victoria, Australia, located in the south-western part of the state. It covers an area of 3,433 square kilometres (1,325 sq mi) and at the 2016 Census had a population of almost 21,000. It includes the towns of Apollo Bay, Beeac, Beech Forest, Birregurra, Colac, Cressy, Forrest, Johanna, Kennett River, Lavers Hill, Warrion and Wye River. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the City of Colac, Shire of Colac, Shire of Otway and part of the Shire of Heytesbury.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Colac Otway Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Colac, it also has a service centre located in Apollo Bay. The Shire is named after the combination of the names for the former City of Colac, and Shires of Colac and Otway, of which the majority of the LGA was formed from. The name Colac is used for both the main urban settlement and the lake, Lake Colac, which are located in the north-centre of the LGA. Colac is also the most populous urban centre in the LGA with a population of almost 12,000. The name Otways is used for the major geographical features located in the south of the LGA, which are The Otways and Cape Otway.
The council is composed of seven councillors elected to represent an unsubdivided municipality.
|Jason Schram||Deputy Mayor|
Former Wards (1996–2008)
- Colac – had three councillors
- Murray – had one councillor
- Otway – had one councillor
- Warrion – had one councillor
Administration and governance
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Colac Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Colac, and its service centre in Apollo Bay.
Localities which encompass the Shire of Colac Otway include:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Colac-Otway (S)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 November 2017.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S63 of 1994: Order estg (Part 2) the Shire of Colac-Otway". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 23 September 1994). p. 3. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Census QuickStats (2016). "Colac (UCL) – UCL213003". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Government of Australia. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Colac Otway Shire Council". Department of Transport, Planning and Local Infrastructure. State Government of Victoria. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
Media related to Shire of Colac Otway at Wikimedia Commons
- Colac Otway Shire Council official website
- Colac Otway Web – Regional Web Site
- Metlink local public transport map
- Link to Land Victoria interactive maps