Shire of Dalwallinu
|Shire of Dalwallinu
Former Road Board building, Dalwallinu, 2011
Location in Western Australia
|Population||1,295 (2013 est)|
|• Density||0.17897/km2 (0.46353/sq mi)|
|Area||7,235.8 km2 (2,793.8 sq mi)|
|Website||Shire of Dalwallinu|
The Shire of Dalwallinu is a local government area in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia, about 250 kilometres (155 mi) NNE of Perth, the state capital. The Shire covers an area of 7,236 square kilometres (2,794 sq mi) and its seat of government is the town of Dalwallinu.
Initially, the area was part of the Moora and Upper Irwin Road Districts. On 2 June 1916, the Dalwallinu Road District was created. On 1 July 1961, it became a shire following the enactment of the Local Government Act 1960.
On 14 May 1966, the Shire was divided into four wards: Central, North, South and East Wards, and membership was increased from 9 to 11. On 22 May 1971, a new ward, Dalwallinu Townsite Ward with one councillor, was created and the council reduced back to 9 councillors by allocating 2 each to the original four wards. In 1992, the Central and Dalwallinu Townsite Wards were merged to form the new Central Ward, and on 3 May 2003, the Central and South Wards were merged to form the new South Ward.
As such, the present ward system of the shire is:
- East Ward (two councillors)
- North Ward (two councillors)
- South Ward (six councillors)
- "3218.0 Regional Population Growth, Australia. Table 5. Estimated Resident Population, Local Government Areas, Western Australia". 3 April 2014. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- WA Electoral Commission, Municipality Boundary Amendments Register (release 3.0), 31 July 2007.
- "Local Government Act, 1960 - Shire of Dalwallinu - Redivision into Wards and Increase in Membership - Order in Council (per L.G. 318/54)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 21 January 1966. p. 1966:166–167.
- "Local Government Act, 1960 - Shire of Dalwallinu - Wards and Membership. Order in Council (per L.G. 318/54)". Western Australia Government Gazette. 15 January 1971. p. 1971:100.
Media related to Shire of Dalwallinu at Wikimedia Commons